crane_IT

Windows 7 Tweaks

Question

I have Windows 7 deploying the way I want and now I'm working on the finer details listed below.

1. Show "My Computer" icon on all users desktops without making it a shortcut. I want the real thing.

2. Once "My Computer" icon IS on all users, I want it to show as "%username% on %computername%". This was really easy to do in XP, but I still haven't found a way to do it for all users in Win 7.

3. I have a folder that needs to allow "Everone" Full access. I tried using icacls, but that hasn't worked. I'm still experimenting with that one.

4. I want to have "Automatically Detect Settings" unchecked for all users in IE settings.

There are probably more that I can't think of right now. I know I could take care of all of this by using a reference image, but we're going as thin as possible with the "base image" being JUST Win 7 ent. w/ SP1 and nothing else. Everything else is scripted which is going to be easier in the long run, but harder on me here in the beginning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

I have Windows 7 deploying the way I want and now I'm working on the finer details listed below.

1. Show "My Computer" icon on all users desktops without making it a shortcut. I want the real thing.

2. Once "My Computer" icon IS on all users, I want it to show as "%username% on %computername%". This was really easy to do in XP, but I still haven't found a way to do it for all users in Win 7.

3. I have a folder that needs to allow "Everone" Full access. I tried using icacls, but that hasn't worked. I'm still experimenting with that one.

4. I want to have "Automatically Detect Settings" unchecked for all users in IE settings.

There are probably more that I can't think of right now. I know I could take care of all of this by using a reference image, but we're going as thin as possible with the "base image" being JUST Win 7 ent. w/ SP1 and nothing else. Everything else is scripted which is going to be easier in the long run, but harder on me here in the beginning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I got 3. working. cacls "C:\Program Files\...\folder" /e /grant everyone:F. I thought I had already tried that, but I guess not.