jvanlieshout

Windows 7 sysprep arrg!!!

Question

Arrg!!!

I have computers PXE booting to a LiteTouch image...

I've captured images...

I've customized that image and installed default software in Audit Mode...

I've deployed that image with the basic sysprep application located in c:\windows\system32\sysprep...

I'm using WSIM to create unattend.xml files...

...but a cannot get my unattend.xml to ask the *&^%$##! machine to for the computer name and add the computer to a domain! I can get it to add it to "domin name" work group.

I just can't seem to understand how Microsoft got all of this stuff accomplished but can't get a computer added to a domain without having to create a bunch of extre steps to get this done.

I'd also like to create a custom Task Sequence that will just install the image that i setup fot it to install. What steps are required for the task to finish?

5 answers to this question

My suggestion would be to use MySysprep2, see below link to documentation and source link:

http://tsaysoft.com/mysysprep2/

It still functions exactly like sysprep only it adds the ability to add these prompts to the image as you have requested. I have used it successfully with our dual-boot Mac / Windows machines with outstanding success. If you require any clarification on it feel free to inquire further and i will be happy to provide details.

Thanks

From what i understand you should not be entering the KMS licensing key. The KMS key should be added to a KMS licensing server. The server then will automatically dish out the key to clients as they begin communicating with it. This is outlined in anywebs post, found here:

http://www.windows-n...p-a-kms-server/

The only key you enter on the fly, into a sysprep would more than likely be an MAK key. Although if you have been licensed a KMS key then setting up KMS licensing on a server would be the route you need to take. I would theorise that the reason it is locking up on you is becuase sysprep is not accepting the KMS key as valid and thus freezing.

Also, i have no idea if the key above is actually your valid key or not, but im not sure i would be posting it in forums :(

Let me know if you have further questions

I actually stumbled across the answer on my own... I was using a Windows 7 Enterprise key and not a Windows 7 Professional key(I included a link to the Microsoft page that has all of the KMS generic keys. I wish that some of this info would just be out there and not take a week of web searching to find this info! Thanks again Bill. Maybe TechNet documents could have 80,000 more chapters in them). As soon as I added the correct key the 20 different .xml files that I've tried all seem to work. Another one of thoes things that if you don't know... you just don't know.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793409.aspx

One more step to go...

With MySysprep (my new favorite application) i have my syspreped machies just asking a few questions and they get a name and get added to AD. I might even add all of my computer OUs (about 15) to a drop down list just to make it even easier. Now all that I need to do is get sysprep to automatically add a user account to the computer. I've already done this with one of my other xml files so it shouldn't be that big of a deal (fingers crossed).