edie209

Broken Exchange 2007

Question

I am in the process of upgrading my domain I have 3 new 2008 R2 domain controllers and 2 2003 old DC's, exchange 2007 which is on a 2003 member server.

Last night I moved all the FSMO roles to my new DC and then I dcpromoed the two 2003 domain controllers down to member servers.

When I came in this morning exchange was broken in that it was unable to connect to the domain. The DNS was ok so in the end I dcpromoed original dc back to a dc and exchange is working again. So is there a setting in exchange that refers to a domain controller as apposed to the domain?

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I would advise you to see if you can bind your Exchange server(s) to one of the new servers instead and then get rid of the old ones.

When that's done and everything is OK, then remove the binding and restart your Exchange servers for letting it select DC/GC by itself

Here are the parameters for using in PowerShell

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123716%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

thanks for the reply. I have had a look on that site and am I right with this expression

Set-ExchangeServer -Identity mail.Contoso.com -StaticDomainController dc-01.Contoso.com dc-02.Contoso.com -StaticGlobalCatalogs dc-01.Contoso.com dc-02.Contoso.com

It looks correct, it can also be comma separated like

Set-ExchangeServer -Identity mail.Contoso.com -StaticDomainController dc-01.Contoso.com,dc-02.Contoso.com -StaticGlobalCatalogs dc-01.Contoso.com,dc-02.Contoso.com

Give it a try