wadeal

Package with Multiple Programs - Only first Program Deploys

I'm attempting to deploy iTunes via SCCM. I've extracted the MSIs and created transforms and updated the MSI's for english. I've created the package with 4 programs, one for each MSI required (I think are required, I've skipped AppleSoftwareUpdate for now while testing incase it isn't required).

When deploying the package the advertisement logs show only the first program in the package installing (AppleApplicationSupport). The log shows as below:

capturec.PNG

Left for 45 mins now, no update regarding the other 3 programs.

The AppleApplication is the only program without a Transform specified. The command for each program is below:

msiexec /i AppleApplicationSupport.msi

msiexec /i AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi TRANFORMS=AppleMobileDeviceSupport.mst

msiexec /i Bonjour.msi TRANFORMS=Bonjour.mst

msiexec /i iTunes.msi TRANFORMS=iTunes.mst

While creating the package I specified as below for location and such:

DataSource

Source Directory - \\chfte.local\distribution\software\apple\iTunes\11.X\iTunes 11.0.1 (DFS Software Distribution Location, our current GPO Software Deployment point).

Enabled - Use a compressed copy of the source directory

Data Access

Enabled - Access the distribution folder through the common ConfigMgr share

I haven't changed any of the requirements for other programs to be installed first or such in the properties of each program.

Am I going about this the wrong way or something? What would be the best way to deploy these MSIs and why isn't this way working?

You could Create a batch file for this deployment and use this as the command line i:e install.bat

The batch file would look like this:

@Echo

Start /Wait msiexec /i "AppleApplicationSupport.msi" /q
Start /Wait msiexec
/i "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" TRANFORMS="AppleMobileDeviceSupport.mst" /q
Start /Wait msiexec
/i "Bonjour.msi" TRANFORMS="Bonjour.mst" /q
Start /Wait msiexec
/i "iTunes.msi" TRANFORMS="iTunes.mst" /q

@Exit

To get it to install correctly put a start /Wait command in front of the first 4 msi's, the next program in line will not start until the previous one has finished installing!!

Just place the batch file in with the other files and use nameofbatch.bat as the program command line!!

Peter33 - Will this matter? Thanks for letting me know I'd missed it but would it affect the installation?

Rocket Man - Will using the Start /Wait commands in the program command lines achieve the same?

Arghh I'm an idiot... When advertising you have to select which program to advertise... so I had to create 4 advertisements, added the /q switch as well. Deployed fine! iTunes did some quick installation or setup on first run, but then no issues.

So you are creating 4 Deployments just to get 1 package deployed?

This is a bit tedious, just create the batch file as forementioned and have 1 program with the name of the batch file as the command line. This way you only need advertise/deploy it once, much more efficient!!

Rocket Man - Will using the Start /Wait commands in the program command lines achieve the same?

This is how I achieve my iTunes deployment!!

Does it make much difference? I'm just wondering in terms of tracking the install, say one of the 4 MSIs doesn't install, a batch won't tell me that. It seems to be it would use the same amount of bandwidth during installation either way, but I'm not too sure - either way DPs are all local for each PC. I am new to this Rocket Man so don't take my question the wrong way - I just through half the point of software distribution via SCCM was tracking success of installations - otherwise I'd just stick with GPO LOL

I'll see how this way goes - it works testing so I'm going to test a couple of live PCs tomorrow - and report back. If I have issues I will go with your recommendation.

There are several ways to deploy dependant programs.

- chain the programs in order of dependancy through the program itself by the option "run another program first"

- batch files or scripts : if you use this make sure to apply some error handling logic. For batch file something like "if %errorlevel% NEQ 0". easier to handle with powershell or vbscript though.

- task sequnces: they can get tricky when the program requests a restart

You should also think about writing log files suring the installation for trouble shooting.