xc3ss1v3

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 via OSD

Hello all... Have something kind of odd happening that I wonder if anyone else has experience with.

I've recently built a Windows 8.1 OSD and have successfully tested it. Everything works like a charm. However, I wanted to see how it would act when running the OSD as an upgrade in a sense that a Windows 7 machine would start the TS, USMT does its thing, image applied, USMT restores. What I thought would break didn't and something I didn't expect showed up.

During the TS, the image was applied to the E: drive. So, it's acting as if the image file was created pre-SP1 or R2 (whichever corrected that issue), when it was not. As I said in the first part, this image does deploy successfully to C: drive in other avenues of testing. But, doing it as an upgrade seems to have broken something. Do I need to put an OSDPreserveDriveLetter variable in the sequence? Any ideas on what might cause this?

Based on your current information I've got no clue what might cause this, or even what's happening... You can allways try OSDPreserveDriveLetter as it won't hurt, but based on your first information I can't imagine that it would help.

Oddly enough, once the OSD was complete and the machine booted to an usable state, turns our Windows is on C: although during the TS it specifically stated "Applying image to E:" No clue what happened ):