YPCC

SCCM Clients Not Detecting Updates

Hi all,

i've recently followed the guide on here to setup a lab environment with SCCM, a DC and a single client. Have configured the SUP. It syncs with Microsoft and obtains the updates (headers) and they are showing in SCCM under "all software updates",

My problem is neither the server or the client itself are detecting any updates as required. I have not set any GPOs for windows updates and have checked my client is pointing to the URL for my SCCM's SUP. The ports are also set correctly.

Ive tried various things and still am lost. Not sure where i am going wrong. Here is what i have checked and tried:

- SCCM is installed as a single PRI site with a local WSUS role installation

- SUP was then configured within SCCM, correct products and classification have been selected

- I can successfully synchronise updates within SCCM and can see various updates

- I have ensured my client is pointing to SCCM's SUP and have disabled all firewalls

- I can even download and deploy the updates to a collection of my choice

- For some reason however my client just doesn't report back as needing the update (even though my client is out of date and definitely needs patches)

- When i checked the deployment summary i can see my client shows as "unknown" instead of showing "non-compliant"

- When i go onto my client and run "check for updates" via the control panel, it reports back as windows is up to date (even though its not)

- I've run a policy scan and update scan cycle many times now

I just cant seem to figure out why my client isnt telling SCCM that it needs updates. Any help would be much appreciated. Even the SCCM server itself isn't reporting back as needing updates. So its not client related. Something I've got wrong in the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE**

Well after trying various different possibilities I just couldn't determine the cause of the problem. In this case I blame Microsoft and its software. It seems the SUP and WSUS had confused themselves and the clients were trying to obtain updates but kept thinking there was a proxy in place (which there wasn't).

I tried various options to resolve this, in the end I had to rebuild my SCCM server. Everything know works fine with machines reporting into SCCM as needing updates etc. Moral of the story is sometimes Microsoft products just don't work as they should. If they did then we support guys wouldn't have a job :)

On a side note, I have figured out that if you do deployed SCEP, then the first update has to be done from Microsoft. Seems as though the SCEP I have may be slightly out of date or something. After attempting to get SCEP to update form my SCCM server, I had to allow my client to contact Microsoft.com to obtain a package which updated SCEP. Now I can manage my SCEP clients from SCCM. Might be handy for someone!