CrazyLinnet

Software updates reboot

Good evening everyone!

I am currently carrying out a full review of how our Software updates are (or aren't which the case is at the moment) being distributed to all clients within our organisation.

I have found the root cause of the issue and have been testing with some pilot users for the resolution of the problem, however with one device (My Surface Pro 3) I have experienced 3 forced reboots without noticing any notifications at all!

I have proven it is the Config Manager client causing the reboots by event ID 12116 being present in the Application event logs at the time of the reboot.

I am intending to roll out updates using an ADR for each product (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Office 2013, 2007, 2016, 2010) scheduled to run at 15 mins apart from 23:30 UK time on patch Tuesday. All ADR's will have the software available time AND deadline time set as "As soon as possible" because in our default client settings we have configured the reboot to be forced at 600 minutes after the software updates have been installed. We figured that during this time all of our users will have shut their machines down for the day and the next time they power on, the updates will finish installing.

My suspicion is that this is not the case and the reboot must be carried out by clicking "restart now" on one of the notifications that is presented to the end user, or indeed they must actually restart the system? Can anyone please confirm this for me?

Regards

Leon