sentinel0

Help with ConfigMgr 2007 USMT 4 XP to W7 using SMP

Question

I am not the most skilled using osd or usmt that explained here is my problem. I need to perform a xp to Windows 7 migration. All clients are encrypted with Sophos Safeguard, this gives me two chances to backup using USMT some how while still on xp or using a vendor instructed WinPE image which allows access to the hard disk in pe. There documentation explains to do just that boot into PE and offline usmt the data. The hard drive must be formatted before 7 can be installed so no hardlinks. What I currently have is running the scanstate offline using a batch file buti think because of the ui and ue switches I'm using it is not migrating domain profiles. /ue:*\* /ui:domain\*. Id like to smp this data to make it easier to maintain but I coukdnt get that to work in this configuration.

2 answers to this question

I removed the /ui and /ue switches and loaded a MIG into migrecover it's backing up the userstate data i'm not sure if i have something wrong in my loadstate or not but the data did not come back down. I tried using windows easy file transfer on the mig it shows no profiles and it didn't restore them after being ran.

I think i finally got this thing working correctly! In my loadstate call I removed the /ui:DOMAIN\* and modified the user exclude to be /ue:%_SMSTSMachineName%\* . I would have liked to have figured out the SMP maybe some other time. I have some additional editing to do but I wrote a wsf that handles creating the user state store and dynamically creates the batch file used additionally I don't have to use any xcopy to get my USMT files. They get brought down as a required package for the script to run. I'll probably modify that design and just include the USMT folder in the MDT Files Package. Should cut down deployment time a smig.