inebriates

Side-by-side SCOM environments

Question

Hi guys, thanks in advance for your help. I'm in a situation where I have inherited a badly designed/maintained/admined Opsman 2007 environment. Permissions are insane...alerts are bonkers...just about everything is crazy. One of my first tasks is to stand up a new 2012 R2 environment and start anew, but it needs to be side-by-side the old environment for 12 months and all of the agents need to be dual homed. If there's any historical data that needs to get pulled we'll just run a report from the old data warehouse. They do not want to migrate any old data, management packs, or anything else. It's all a fresh start. No problem, I can do that.

I have my testlab and prod environments set up and working fine. Agent is deployed to about 20 servers each, dual-homed, and we're good to go. With one exception: the damn admin console on our local machines. Each time I try to install the 2012 admin console on my local machine it fails, because it detects the one that's already there.

I've dug through Google and Technet and not found this anywhere, so it's either incredibly easy and I'm making it harder than it needs to be or it's not as simple as it should be.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hat tip to /u/astromek over at /r/scom for the link. The guy (or lady) is truly a king among men...or women.

http://scug.be/dieter/2012/07/25/scom-install-both-scom2007r2-and-scom2012-console/

A big thanks to Dieter at SCUG.be for clarifying the process and an angry scowl at Microsoft for making things so obfuscated and difficult. When having side-by-side environments is a supported scenario, having side-by-side clients should be a much simpler process.

In case the post ever goes away, here's the text:

In this blog post I’m going to show you how you install both consoles on your workstation. I visit a lot of customers lately who have either SCOM2007R2 or SCOM2012 installed. So I recently also installed the SCOM2012 management console on my laptop to have them both on my machine.

By default it’s not possible to install the SCOM2012 console on a workstation which have already SCOM2007R2 installed.

It will propose to upgrade the existing console but unfortunately there’s no option to install side by side.

dScyChl.jpg

So first upgrade the SCOM2007R2 console to SCOM2012.

Afterwards you need to reinstall the SCOM2007R2 console:

ab5RMYc.jpg

Select only the “User interfaces” option which is in fact the SCOM console:

4fK7MkE.jpg

So after you’ve installed open up the 2 consoles.

CAUTION: Because you have performed an upgrade the old connection to the SCOM2007R2 management group were still saved. So connect towards your new SCOM2012 management group and you’re all set:

h93j9WG.jpg

So fill in your new server and hit connect:

td4ROvW.jpg

Success!

ncSt2XE.jpg