Steve G.

Computers stuck in "Unknown" status

Last week (7-10 days ago from this posting) I used the client push wizard to deploy the client to about 700 computers. I noticed earlier this week that they had all failed their client checks, so I ran a batch repair on them. They are now active, and have an appropriate site code, and are approved, but despite all of this as far as processing software deployments goes, they all remain "unknown".

"Unknown" indicates the client has not processed the machine policy. So, unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, the client is either seriously defective on hundreds of computers, or it's not returning the results to the server for some reason. The SMS services are running, and I rebooted the server last Sunday. The components also show no aberrant behavior.

Any ideas on where else to go with troubleshooting would be welcome. It's a single-site setup, with the only remote component being the SQL database. I need to start weeding through logs more heavily, but I'm not sure which would be most likely to reveal the root problem.