chrischambers

SCCM PXE client rebooting after preparing network connections

Question

I am hitting my head ageist a wall and I can’t work out why

When I boot my PXE client I am getting to the flash screen, and I am getting a IP Address, but then my machine is rebooting.

My domain layout is

Win 8 DC Controller with DNS running

FIX IP

DNS ref one is point to itself

DNS ref two is point to the Router

Win 8 Member server with SCCM, PXE, WDS, WCUS

FIX IP

DNS ref one is point to the DNS Server

DNS ref two is point to the Router

My DHCP is on my router. with is at 192.168.0.1. and I have a DHCP range of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150.

I have imported the drivers for a Dell 6220 laptop

I also import the windows WIM File and Operating system into the SCCM, and deploy them all to the DP

I have pasted in the SMS Trace log, which I am confused about and would like some advice on how I can get my laptop to build from my SCCM.

post-26660-0-03529100-1417350632_thumb.jpg

There are two types of driver that could be required in your boot image. The first one are the network drivers, to make sure your device can connect to the network while in WinPE, and the second one are the storage drivers, to make sure your device can access the disk while in WinPE. You should only add those drivers to the boot image when they are realy required. When you've got no problems with connecting to the network, or accessing the local disks, you do not need to add the drivers to the boot image.

@Modertor - Ok I have gone back and recheck the drivers I have

Broadcom IS LW Filer Driver

BoardCom IS LW Filter Driver

Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PCI Card

Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PCI Card

Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Intel® 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection

Intel® 82580 Gigabit Network Connection

Inter® Contrino ® WiMAX Enumerator

Intel® Contrino ® WiMAX 6250

Intel® Contrino ® WiMAX 6250 Function Driver

I also found the two following drivers in the CAB folder, and imported them, added them to the Package and deploy.

Intel® ESB2 SATA ACHI Controller

Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller

I then re-deployed my Boot.wim files and X86 and X64 and also my TS, but I am still having the same issue.

Why do you have secondary DNS pointing to your router(gateway)?? Just remove this and do DNS flush on servers and clients.

Can you press F8 while booting to PXE and try and ping a member server or the FQDN of the SCCM server to see if you get a reply?

I have removed the second DNS referance and I also have gone through and check the permissions, but I am still getting the same results.

I just did a IP confing within ClientPXE and I got the following results

IP 192.168.0.16

SM 255.255.255.0

GW 192.168.0.1

DNS 194.168.4.100

DNS 194.168.8.100

I think this is the issue, and I need to look into creating a PXE DHCP for the server. am I right ?

EDIT: as my DHCP is on my Rotor, can I have a second DHCP Range on my network, one just for the PXE ? if so then how would I go about setting it up.

DNS 194.168.4.100

DNS 194.168.8.100

What are these?

If your mask is 255.255.255.0 then how is the DNS subnets as above different than your DHCP/Servers subnet 192.168.0.x?

What is the IP address of your DC server? This is what your DNS should be.

Also probably be a better solution to have DHCP server on the DC and disable DHCP on the router. Then in DHCP server option enter the DNS and router configurations to point to your DC for DNS and the router to your router so that clients receiving DHCP no where the DNS server is and the router for external GW access.

If you go for this solution make sure to edit the internal DNS and set the forwarders to that of your ISP public DNS servers!

And also did you try and ping the FQDN of the SCCM server to see if you get a reply?

ping win08-sccm.millbrook.com

Hi

I tryed as you advice, that I disable my Router DHCP and set up a DHCP on my DC, with points to my DNS and DHCP settings, in do this I have many issues one issues I had that I was not able to access the internet via my VM machine, and the DHCP and DNS was haivng issues communicating.

after taking to my ISP "Virgin Media" I discovered that if I want to access the internet then I MUST have a DHCP working on my Rotor. and I am not able to change the DNS referances.

apart from the I did the Ping test

on my SCCM I got a reply back from itself,

from my DC I got a reply back from itself and from the SCCM

and from my Test machine, I got a errror message "could not find the host"

but I was able to ping them via the IP Address. I have check the DNS and I have a A Record for the SCCM Server.

I had that I was not able to access the internet via my VM machine

If you go for this solution make sure to edit the internal DNS and set the forwarders to that of your ISP public DNS servers!

Did you do this after making the change? If you didn't then your DHCP clients would have not been able to resolve any external addresses!

Also where is the 192.168.4.100 and 192.168.8.100 DNS coming from then in your initial setup because that is not Virigins public DNS IPs or any other service providers for that matter as these are private addresses?

It is a DNS issue you have and it will need to be resolved other wise you wont contact your management point which is your SCCM server.

Your log in the first snippet shows this: "unknown host get host by name" "Failed to get information for management point xxxxxxxxxx"

BTW are you testing at home? I have setup home test environments before on standard DSL subscriptions and used the setup I recommeneded previous and worked fine. Personally I think what Virgin have stated is a red herring.. :o... you probably cant change the public DNS entries, but that is fine if you cant, in DHCP (on the router) is there any way of adding custom DNS entries? If you can then add your DC IP address and it should be bingo!

@Rocket Man. I am very frustated with Virgin, as it looks like that I am not able to get access to the internet, even if I try the Wireless Rotuer into a basic gateway.

here was my setup.

Virgin, disable all DHCP = IP 192.168.0.1

Netgear Wireless

Turn on the DHCP with a range of 50 users

set the connected point as static to give me the DG Settings

enter in the DNS referance

all looked ok, but when I did a Ipconfig /all, the DNS referance was pointing to 192.168.0.2 and not 192.168.0.111

to your last question, Yes I am testing at home as I am trying to get all the paperwork docuemnation ready for next year, when I am going to be doign a large rollout.

Thinking, Where can I get the VM Drivers for the NIC, as I am thinking about placing the whole setup on a VLAN and not on a NAT.