roy

Upgrade SCCM 2012 SP1 to /SCCM 2012R2 and move to new hardware

Hello,

I have a SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 standalone primary site running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and I need to :

- Upgrade SCCM to SCCM 2012 R2

- Move ConfigMgr server to new hardware running Windows Server 2012 R2

Could you please advise me on the best approach ? Should I consider building a new SCCM environement or restoring a backup ?

The side-by-side migration tool as described in the guides would have been nice but I guess it only handles 2007 to 2012 migrations.

Many thanks.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the answer. I figured it out when reading this topic : http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11444-best-way-for-cm12-side-by-side-migration/.

Ideed, your proposal seems OK to me : Build new R2 site, upgrade existing SP1 site to R2 then migrate it side by side. I'm going to study this scenario.

Otherwise, is it possible to do a sort of "manual" migration ? I'm asking because I think retrieving the active software update groups and deployments should be the biggest part as I occasionally create programs and packages and I don't use advanced features such as OSD, Asset Intelligence, or baselines. May be I could :

• Keep the old site in SP1
  • Install new site in R2
  • Enable SUP and EP roles.
  • Re-create software update groups and download approved updates.
  • Re-create ADR to allow defintions updates.
  • Remove old site boudaries and create ones on the new one to move client computers.
  • Uninstall old site.
  • Decommission old server.

In that case I indeed wouldn't worry about migration or backup-restore actions. With a software update scan by a client you've got the compliance state of a client back, that's not really something that needs to be migrated.

Keep in mind that you need to reinstall the client to point it to the new site (there are other ways, but this is the easiest).