bullbaiter

Problems distributing OS image file to remote DP's

Never seen this one before and not finding much on it...

New SCCM 2012 R2 setup on win2012. Copied a WIM file to the primary server. Added it as a "Operating System Image" and distributed it to a LOCAL DP on the primary site server.

I have 3 other DP's and every time i try to push it to them i receive an error about not having permissions to the source or the DP's don't have space. Neither of which are the case...depending on how i have the throttling setup it either gets to 1% completed, 5% completed, or 50% completed. One thing that seems "consistent" if you can call it that is it takes about 50 minutes for it to fail most times.

I've checked the pkgxfermgr.log file on the primary server and get this every time it fails...

CSendFileAction::SendFiles failed; 0x80004005 SMS_PACKAGE_TRANSFER_MANAGER 1/28/2015 8:50:45 PM 5516 (0x158C)
CSendFileAction::SendFiles failed; 0x80004005 SMS_PACKAGE_TRANSFER_MANAGER 1/28/2015 8:50:45 PM 5516 (0x158C)
Sending failed. Failure count = 1, Restart time = 1/28/2015 9:20:45 PM Eastern Standard Time SMS_PACKAGE_TRANSFER_MANAGER 1/28/2015 8:50:45 PM 5516 (0x158C)
I've checked the smsdpprov.log file on the remote DP's and see this....
[1018][Wed 01/28/2015 21:18:35]:RegQueryValueExW failed for Software\Microsoft\SMS\DP, PxeInstalled
[1018][Wed 01/28/2015 21:18:35]:RegReadDWord failed; 0x80070002
I'm able to push client packages to these DP's without issue...
I've disabled AV, firewall, rebooted them, removed the DP and re-installed on one and still receive the same issue.
Not sure where to go from here short of standing up a DP on the same subnet and taking the WAN out of the equation...
any thoughts would be appreciated...
Thanks

Have seen where content failed to distribute to remote DPs due to been out of time sync, but this would ultimately fail on all content.

Just make sure your DPs are on correct time to that of PS.

The 2 errors previous attached by you state one in 12 hour format and the remote in 24 hour format but this could be normal in the logs.

Hi all,

I have been having the same issue for the last 6 months. We logged a Microsoft case and after much work got a resolution.

Issue:

Every time we tried to push an OS to a remote DP, within one hour it would fail. In the smsbkup.log I could see that there was a backup happening every hour, that happened at the same time the distribution failed.

It was not related to the site maintenance or to do with any server back ups we had in place.

Cause:

Hyper-V replication. Our SCCM server is of course, virtual. It turns out Hyper-V replication is not supported with SCCM 2012, which I did not know. It uses the VSS_Writer which was stopping every hour.

On our primary server, when we unchecked the "Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot frequency" which was set to hourly, this fixed the issue and we could distribute a large OS to the remote DP's.

Hope this helps someone, this caused us a lot of work.

Regards

Kevin

• Like 1