biucu

How to make sure desktop and Program icons do not get created when using MSIEXEC

Question

I am using windows installer to create a deployment image for installation of an autodesk product called 3DS Max.

I have everything working but I need to make sure that NO desktop icon or Program Group icons get created for the software as we do not want users to click on them.

We are managing the software through our own wrapper script via an internal launch tool.

​Anyone know what are the options or command lien options to disable creation of desktop and program group icons?

Much appreciated.

1 answer to this question

You could have a look at the MSI property table to see if there are any public property's you can set, anything in upper case.

Sometimes the Vendor doesn't provide something built in, and you have to edit the MSI via a transform and remove the shortcuts.

be-Careful of removing advertised Shortcuts as these will sometimes be adding in some missing component for other users.

Sometimes I use a custom action VBScript to clean up shortcuts. You could just add something like this to your wrapper.

Here are some examples.

set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.shell")
set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

DesktopPath = wshShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop") 
shortcut = DesktopPath & "\Sage 50 Accounts 2012.lnk"

If FSO.FileExists(shortcut) Then
FSO.DeleteFile shortcut
End If
dim strProgramData, strapppath

set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.shell")
set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

strProgramData = wshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%ProgramData%")
strapppath = strProgramData & "\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sage Accounts"

if FSO.FolderExists(strapppath) then
FSO.DeleteFolder(strapppath)
end if