notta

Setup computers without OSD question

Hi. I have been using Configuration Manager for about a year now and was wondering if SCCM could be used to setup computers that could not be imaged with OSD? For example we quite often have a computer delivered with very expensive laboratory eqipment. The computers are already configured with the laboratory software installed so re-imaging is not possible. What we commonly do at this point is go out and configure the machine to our policies (added to domain, our security group to local admin group, AV installed, and other custom tweaks, etc....) I was going to create a script that would run through the machine and do all this for the tech, but before I do that I was wondering if SCCM could be used. I am just getting started with OSD and while reading about it I thought I read that task sequences can be used outside of OSD? Can task sequences be used outside of OSD to achieve what I want to do here or are they specific to OSD? If I'm way off base, how would you guys achieve this? Any help would be appreicated.

You can create custom sequences to deploy packages/application, run command lines etc... So yes they can be used other than OSD.

You will of course need the agent on the custom configured systems prior to deploying anything from SCCM. If you can get a script created then you can use SCCM to push it out to systems but only if they have the agent installed.