DerDa

Issue - Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 using Task Sequence

Hi,

I am currently trying to create a Task Sequence to Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

I want to use a Task Sequence because the customer is using 802.1x network authentication and when just running an Application or Package with the setup.exe /auto:upgrade command the dot3svc service is not coming up again when the PC boots into Windows 8.1 the very first time. And without this service Windows is not able to authenticate with the network. The workaround for this issue is just another reboot.

Therefore I created a Task Sequence with the following steps:

1. Reboot into OS

2. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 (setup.exe /auto:upgrade)

3. Reboot into OS

4. Install Windows Updates

5. Install a fix for Single Sign On for Lotus Notes

6. Reboot into OS

It's doing step 1+2 and then nothing. Could it be that the problem is, that the Upgrade is moving all data from C:\ to C:\Windows.old including the _SMSTaskSequence folder?

But why am I not able to find the folder within C:\Windows.old?

I've attached some log files (execmgr / smsts / tsagent). If required I will provide further log files.

Just to avoid a few questions:

1. I tried to argue to DO NOT an Upgrade for several reasons (e.g. no sysprep support) but the customer still want to have an upgrade instead of a new installation

2. I've tried using an application and a package

3. Just using setup.exe /auto:upgrade without 802.1x authentication is working fine, if not using a task sequence

4. I've set the the option "Configuration Manager client will force a mandatory device restart" in application user experience settings

5. A rollout without 802.1x is not an option

6. I am using SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 with one primary site.

It would be nice if someone could help me out.

Thank you

Regards

Ingo

WIBMZVM00033.zip