chrno

PXE Service Point advice

I am in progress of migrating our SCCM 2007 to ConfigMgr 2012 R2. The site server and site system roles will be installed on an our private cloud.

However, I would like to put a PXE service point role on our internal LAN for OS deployment. As I understand from reading the documentations, in ConfigMgr 2012, the PXE service point now requires a distribution point. My problem is I have a limited hardware resources to deploy a new VM in the LAN as everything is now hosted on our private cloud.

So the question is what is the bare minimum configuration that I can get away with for this PXE service point? From what I read:

1. WDS
  2. Distribution Point
  3. PXE enabled
  4. DHCP
Is this correct?

Also, to minimise the disk space, can I have the PXE service-point to just pxeboot the machine but somehow read/pull the wim image & TS applications from the distribution point in the private cloud (as there are more storage there)?

Any feedbacks or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

chrno

First off, i think your terminology is slightly off, "PXE service point" is an SCCM 2007 term, it doesn't exist as a site role in ConfigMgr 2012. I am making an assumption that you want to have the PXE capability at some/all of your locations to enable OSD. Is that correct?

If that is correct then all you need is a Distribution Point setup at these locations. When you assign the DP role to a server you have the ability to configure that DP to honor PXE requests from LAN clients. The assignment of the role will automatically setup and configure WDS on that server to prepare it for PXE. Once that is complete then you would need to make your boot images accessible via PXE, this can be done via the properties of the boot image. You do not need DHCP on a Distribution Point in order for PXE to work but you would need DHCP on the LAN somewhere, and, depending on how your LAN is setup, possibly IP "helper" addresses configured to allow clients to use your newly configured, PXE enabled Distribution Point.