boognish

Add to Collection as part of task sequence

Question

Is there a way to have a computer moved from one collection to another as a final part of an OSD task sequence?

Say I have a collection (mandatory image collection) getting a mandatory assignment. As a last step in TS I want to take it out of that collection and move it into its rightful collection.

3 answers to this question

How do you populate your image/reinstall collection?

Direct membership or through a Active Directory Group or something else?

If you are using a Active Directory group you could input a custom command or script at the end of the task sequence that would move your computer from one AD group to another. Which in turn would move your computer away from the image/reinstall collection.

Our scenario is sort of complex. We are migrating to a new AD, moving from a public IP scheme to a private one, coupled with 802.1x and network refreshes.

Currently we install the SCCM Client on machines, convert the switch ports to the new network configuration. The machine shows up in the database, we manually move it to a collection for imaging purposes. Then after the image is complete we take it out of the temporary image collection and put it in another collection. So its direct membership. I want to automate the taking out and moving.

Our scenario is sort of complex. We are migrating to a new AD, moving from a public IP scheme to a private one, coupled with 802.1x and network refreshes.

Currently we install the SCCM Client on machines, convert the switch ports to the new network configuration. The machine shows up in the database, we manually move it to a collection for imaging purposes. Then after the image is complete we take it out of the temporary image collection and put it in another collection. So its direct membership. I want to automate the taking out and moving.

I have never done a migration as such and will test this out in lab in the near future..... after i whip out a walkthrough for NAP and a planning guide for dummies on Large Scale deployments.... my thoughts anyway...

A thought out of the box would be:

If you have a Trust in place from old to new AD, build a script to migrate the PC (about 15lines of vb code) then have that object dropped into a group linked to the collection in question. Then have the TS drop that group and run another script to add to your new AD and groups....

i do something similar atm

1. Build GOLD Image WIM

2. Deploy Gold Image.TS (Tier0 Tools install and Prep) (Installs updates, strips drivers, installs DirectX, IE8, etc)

2a. - Push image with Tier0 Tools

2b. - Push Installs for from SYSPRep.inf (Series of batch files and VBS)

3. Boots windows - Runs SYSPrep minisetup

3a. - Runs configured items.

- Installs A/V

- Basic Configuration of OS to environment

- Adds to BUILD OU in AD

- Sets reboot/startup apps (runs Stage1.vbs file) (adds PC to tier1 AD Group)

- Reboots, runs tier1 app installs

3b. - Checks for IP Range and Site settings from AD.

- Adds to Correct OU

- Adds PC to tier2 Group

- Runs Specific Tier2 collection scripts

- Builds , configures, applies GPO.

4. Reboots Completed.

Entirely ZTI. its possible but can get very complex. work with the KISS (keep is stupidly simple) principals first and you'll figure it out. If in doubt, im sure we can add some logic or assistance.