Jimm

SCCM 2007 on Server 2003

SMP Control Manager detected SMP is not responding to HTTP requests. The http status code and text is 403, Forbidden.

I keep getting these entries in the logs but most things I have done seem to work. Let me reword that statement. Most things are working that I am trying as I review the topics on this site. When things begin to fail, I look in Component Status for Site Component Manager / MP Control manager / State Migration Point and keep seeing the same components with the same errors.

I tried setting up WebDAV accoring to the article but there is an issue. I am on Server 03 and do not have Server Manager available. I used IIS Manager and saw WebDAV and there is really nothing to configure that I can tell.

I will be able to deploy a software package, maybe some update etc, then suddenly, nothing will deploy any longer. After I clear the errors by restarting the server, things go back to normal. How can I correct this permenantly?

Jimm

I thought a few screen shots would better illustrate what I am seeing as I am trying to deploy Office 2007 to an XP SP3 test device. This test device is in it's own collection through a filter that feeds from the All Systems.

In the console, I see two critical states. One for Management Point and another for State Migration Point. Sometimes, there is a third but as of right now this is all that is showing.

Console.jpg

As you can see, the components show a critical error.

StateMigrationPoint.jpg

Both errors basically state the same cause:

RO1

10/22/2009 3:00:19 PM

ROSCM1

SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

MP Control Manager detected management point is not responding to HTTP requests. The HTTP status code and text is 403, Forbidden.

Possible cause: Management point encountered an error when connecting to SQL Server.

Solution: Verify that the SQL server is properly configured to allow Management Point access. Verify that management point computer account or the Management Point Database Connection Account is a member of SMS Management Point Role (msdbrole_MP) in the SQL Server database.

I opened the SQL Mgmt and see my device ROSCM1 listed with this role when I look at the SMS_RO1\Security\Users\Roles.

Possible cause: The SQL Server Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not registered correctly in Active Directory

Solution: Ensure SQL server SPNs are correctly registered. Review Q829868.

I'm thinking if SPNs were missing, I would not have been able to deploy anything. Not applicable to my situation as I have done OS build, capture and software deploys.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which SMS is configured to communicate.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which SMS is configured to use.

Not sure how this applies. I only have SCCM unless there are SMS components included in the installation. My site uses 80 and 443 as my WSUS is using 8530 and 8531. Not thinking this is the issue.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Looked while I verified the ports. Not the problem.

Possible cause: The SMS ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.

Solution: Verify that the account that the SMS ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

Verify the who have what? I looked in AD for anything that began SMS and there is only one called SMSMSE Viewers. Maybe this is it, but I haven't a clue what this is or does.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 838891.