ZeZe

Deploy an application

Hi all,

Doubt:

deploying an application that already exists in your workplace (let's say Google Chrome) and now you've to deploy a new version BUT, like I said, the application already exists in your workplace and it wasn't deployed in the past by CM.

If I deploy an application that already exists, will the agent remove and install this new version or in the detection method I've to add additional methods (like file versions or something else) to make sure the application is installed?

example: google chrome version 44 and now you need to install the 46.

Thank you all!

First of all, the ConfigMgr agent will never automatically remove software. It will only remove software if you deployed something that would perform the removal. Also, yes, you can configure an Application in ConfigMgr to detect the installation of an application, even if it's not installed through ConfigMgr. A good detection method is the key.

First of all, the ConfigMgr agent will never automatically remove software. It will only remove software if you deployed something that would perform the removal. Also, yes, you can configure an Application in ConfigMgr to detect the installation of an application, even if it's not installed through ConfigMgr. A good detection method is the key.

true, I know. But when you are deploying a new version and you're replacing the old version (supersede) then it will remove and install the new version - I assume... (assuming that we create a relation between both applications and retire the old application) ? But also, each MSI has it own key product, correct? So if I install a new version, the key product will be different - I also assume? If for some reason I'm not using MSI and I've to lookup for files that can tell me the right version of the product, I would test the DLL or EXE for each version and compare on each side...

There are lots of comparison check options for installs...MSI is clear enough, if you do a script exe install then it is often about checking file versions or registry Uninstall keys for versions etc.

Generally most stuff does upgrade OK...not always...but I personally have a virtual test PC or two and I'll throw the old package on, then send out the update - if it works then I can look at a larger rollout test before comitting to everywhere that needs it. Remove deployments of the old version, deploy the new one and for me that's it.

My background with app deployment spans 17 years now...so generally there is a way to get most stuff sorted if you know where to look :)

There are lots of comparison check options for installs...MSI is clear enough, if you do a script exe install then it is often about checking file versions or registry Uninstall keys for versions etc.

Generally most stuff does upgrade OK...not always...but I personally have a virtual test PC or two and I'll throw the old package on, then send out the update - if it works then I can look at a larger rollout test before comitting to everywhere that needs it. Remove deployments of the old version, deploy the new one and for me that's it.

My background with app deployment spans 17 years now...so generally there is a way to get most stuff sorted if you know where to look :)

The only thing that I was trying to understand was the supersedence... when you create the relation (using MSI package) you can choose not to uninstall; if not using the MSI and using script, then it's better to choose to remove before install the new version. I think this way, usually the "upgrade" runs correctly. What is your opinion?