shineknox

OSD form Windows 7 to Windows 10 using USMT

Question

I'm currently using SCCM 2012 R2 Version 5.00.8239.1000 build 8239. I've been given the task of transitioning over to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Unfortunately this is my first go with SCCM. I would like to deploy a bare-metal windows 10 image via PXE and leverage USMT to pull the profiles from the Windows 7 machine being migrated to windows 10; I do not want to do an in place upgrade. I've went through some how tos that I found in forums because MS has no white papers on the process; this however did not work.

One thing I noticed is that deploy doesn't seem to ah, deploy; really aggravating. I monitored the ccm logs to see if I see any action and it seems to do nothing. I built the task sequence with the wizard and pointed it to the USMT package, but it never seems to kick off.

Maybe I'm missing something and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

As with most things involving SCCM and OSD, there are multiple ways of doing it.

I learned (through a lot of beating my head against the wall) that USMT can be it's own task sequence. You can configure it separately and run it outside of an OS deployment. It can even be done locally by running the USMT command to save it either on a flash drive or on a network share. If you do that, you can even double click the USMT file and put in the security code and add all the profiles on the newly imaged machine. USMT is pretty cool. Then you can

If you're wanting to run USMT on an existing Win7 and then you wanna wipe and load a new OS, start up a new task sequence, add a command line step at the very beginning and run the USMT command similar to this:
scanstate \\server\share\migration\mystore /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /o /config:config.xml /v:13 /encrypt /key:"mykey"

Then you can continue into the wipe and load.

To restore, you'd use something like this:
loadstate \\server\share\migration\mystore /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /v:13 /decrypt /key:"mykey"

Just remember, task sequences are compeltely flexible and can become whatever you want them to do.

Here's more info on the USMT commands.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825175.aspx

• Like 1