as400ssw

Deploy available with countdown reboot

Hi to all,

I need some suggestion to upgrade software antivirus and give user the possibility to choose when start the upgrade (from software center) and a countdown before reboot to save his job, without lose his data.

I will explain the scenario:

I have SCCM 2012 R2 and thousands of Windows 7 SP1 x 64 with antivirus software version "a" that need to be upgrade to versione "b"

The msi file of version "b" can overwrite the actual version "a" but a restart of computer is needed to complete the installation and, much more important, to continue protect the computer and also it must be done within a few minutes after the upgrade.

I would a button at the end of installation to force reboot or one countdown;in any case the user may leave your computer without restarting.

The msi command line has the switch "ALLOWREBOOT=0" to prevent automatically restart and his exit code is 3010, that mean "reboot is required to complete the installation", alias soft reboot.

I can't deploy this upgrade in the night, without user approval, because I don't know the status of many CAD/developer workstations, his job active, his open files and so on.

I have tried many different configuration about deployment type, exit code, user experience, custom settings, maintenance window, deadline, but in all of case if I configure a deploy "Install->available", the user can start the upgrade from Software Center, but after the installation the user can leave the computer without restarting, because there is no countdown window.

Otherwise, if I try one deploy with "Install->required", it don't work like I would, because yes there is a countdown window at the end, but the user cannot choose when start the installation and if the user try to start the installation between the available time and the deadline, the installation has the same behavior of the install-available, i mean he don't force a reboot.

I think that in my case the only solution should be "Install->available", but is there a way to show the user something like a countdown window or a different way to obtain the result

Thanks in advance

Why not break down the deployment rather than do all usets in one go.

Identify the hisk risk users and leave them out for now. Send out a install-required deployment to all other users are around 4pm. Depeneding on your computer restart policy (administration > client settings), the user will have X hours after 4pm to reboot after which they are forced.

So for example if your computer restart policy is set to 3 hours lets say. You deploy at 4pm as required, once installed the user has 3 hours to reboot. Depending on what time they finish work most will shutdown their computer when they leave. Or deploy at 9am and that way the forced reboot occurs at 12noon and users have plenty of time to save their work and restart.

This is a security issue so your users and their managers should understand you need to force a reboot.