Unable to Install Client on Workstations via GPO - Error 1603

Server details:
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 - fully updated
  • SCCM v 1606
  • Console version: 5.0.8412.1205
  • Site version: 5.0.8412.1000
  • Deploy workstation: Windows 10 Enterprise v1607
Hello,
I have been trying to install the SCCM Client onto my workstations for the better part of two days now, attempting to deploy it via GPO. No matter what I try, I always get the same four errors in my Windows Logs/System. They come in a list of 4 entries, right in a row

108 Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : %%1603
303 The removal of the assignment of application Configuration Manager Client from policy Deploy SCCM Client succeeded.
102 The install of application Configuration Manager Client from policy Deploy SCCM Client failed. The error was : %%1603
301 The assignment of application Configuration Manager Client from policy Deploy SCCM Client succeeded.

At this point I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'm really really unsure what my settings should really look like. I've googled and googled these errors, and I've tried every configuration change that I can see being recommended, and I don't get any changes at all.
Right now, here's how I have it set up:
Group Policy with Computer Configuration-Policies-Software Settings-Software installation package that has my client.msi for the source. I have tried the client.msi file from two different locations: \\sccm_server\SMS_mysite\Client\i386\client.msi and \\domain.local\NETLOGON\.
For the first one (from my sccm_server), at first there were no read permissions to the Client folder (for Everyone, or Authenticated Users, or any other blanket group), so I granted them. I got that idea from this technet discussion.
I tried NETLOGON because that's how I install LAPS (which works great). Figure I might as well give it a shot.
I imported both templates into the group policy. Site Assignment has my site code, retry interval set to 5, retry duration set to 1. Client Deployment Settings, I've tried LOTS of things here. I've tried leaving it not configured, I've tried different variations on CCMSetup.exe with different switches like /logon, SMSSITECODE=mysitecode, MP=sccm_server, etc. I'm very unconfident on what should ACTUALLY be here.
In SCCM, under Software Update-Based Client Installation Properties, I have check marked the box for 'Enable software update-based client installation'.
I have extended my AD Schema as suggested in step 14 of this guide. In fact, I followed this guide for setting up my SCCM and deploying W10 via PXE. My setup should be nearly identitcal.
When I try to check my workstation for C:\Windows\system32\CCM\ for logs, the CCM folder does not exist. I've searched all over C:\Windows for any CCM files or folders, and I find none.
Please, help me here. Thank you.

Just to update my own post, in case someone googles and finds this, I also posted on reddit.com/r/sccm.

Over there, someone recommended I check C:\Windows\Temp for any MSI logs, and I found a BUNCH of them, that all say:

Error 25502. Setup was not launched from CcmSetup.exe. Please run CcmSetup.exe to install ConfigMgr Client.

I'm now working on this, but at least it's a point in the right direction.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:50 AM, FubsyGamer said:

One more update...we got it! I was using the wrong .msi :(

I was using the msi from \\sccm_server\SMS_sitename\Client\i386\client.msi

I should have been going to \\sccm_server\SMS_sitename\bin\i386\ccmsetup.msi

Yay!!!

I just retrieved my password for this site to say, thanks!!! It's kind strangers like you who actually go in to post their solutions that make the internet such a great place for learning :)