Skyha

Servers Sizing for a Lab

Hello everyone,

I have to build a lab (which need to be as close as our production infrastructure) for current branch with 1 CAS , 4 primary servers and 8 distribution points (1 DP role on each primary + 4 independent DP). All of this will be on an ESXi with 64GB RAM and 3TO disk space.

This platform is mostly for testing, it won't have a lot of clients.

We will use SQL server 2014 standart edition.

What would be your advices concerning the sizing of the servers in term of RAM and disks space , since it's for a Lab I don't really know how to size my servers.

Thanks in advance.

#1, Get rid of the CAS, unless you will have 150,000 computers, you are begging for trouble.

#2, 3TB of space will get used up quickly if you have 8 DPs. Why so many?

#3, 64 GB of RAM is not enough for this setup. you need 12 GB for each CAS/Pri that is 60 GB alone for those servers.

Hi,

Thanks for you answer.

Some precisions :

#1, I will have to install a CAS anyway because this lab will be a "clone" (in the form, not in the content) of our real SCCM infrastructure.

#2, 8 DPs because we have 8 DPs in production, and as i said this lab is a "clone" of our infrastructure. There will only be a couple of applications on these DPs.

#3, Concerning the RAM, this is where I really don't know what to do, because the hierarchy is pretty big in the form, but not in the content.

#1. If you have a CAS then it mean that you have 150,000 computers. right?? If not you really need to re-look at your CMCB infrastructure.

#2. IMO there is no need to completely duplicated you environment, it only need to represent it. Since you have 150,000 computers, 8 DP will not be enough unless you are us ACP. 8*4k = 24,000 computers.

#3, Software updates along will take up a ton of space....

#1, In production we have a CAS because yes we have (more than) 150 000 computers (pretty big company that I won't name here).

#2, Sorry, i got mixed up with the number of DPs , in production we have way more than 8 DPs, but in this Lab it will be 8.

#3, Software updates will be limited to security updates for Win10.

I know it will be short with only 64GB of RAM on the ESXi, but unfortunately I have to work with it.

Thanks for your time.