MagnumVP

Upgrade or Migrate to 1902 from 2012 R2

I have a single site with 7 Distribution Points. All servers are running Server 2012 R2 and SQL 2012 SP4.

Should I do a direct upgrade to 1902 or perform a migration to new Server 2016 system.

My end goal is to have the OS running Server 2016 and SQL 2014 or greater. Since my current setup (2012 R2) doesn't support Server 2016 or SQL 2014 I either have to upgrade SCCM or move it.

i'd do an in-place upgrade, you'll need to create a detailed plan of action though and test it in a lab first.

Thanks.  

I've been planning for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger on the upgrade today... about two hours ago.

Everything worked as expected.  38 minutes to upgrade the primary site.  All DP updated, installed C++ 2013 and all seems go to go.  Clients are upgrading...over a 5 day period (build numbers are 5.00.8790.1007). 

So far all is good.  I'm curious to see how long it takes for clients to notice the new Software Center interface. :)