McCoy

generic question for managing applications in a company infrastructure

Question

Hi everybody,

first of all, you have an amazing source of information over here. I am a complete beginner when it comes to SCCM or even SMS, so bare with me and my stupid questions.

I digged in a little in OSD already, but I have one question about managing applications where I need a little tossing into the right direction:

Am I right that it is a common approach to create yourself a software catalogue where you can classify which software has assigned costs to it and which is the newest version etc. So if I do med sized rollouts (from 200 to 2000 clients roughly) I want to have task sequences where installed software is recognized, compared with my database of newest versions etc, and the new versions will get installed to the new machine automatically.

But what is the right way to create and maintain that kind of software database? Can this be done via the sccm asset intelligence part? I seem to be missing something obvious here as iirc I haven't found a single reference for such an approach in these forums yet.

3 answers to this question

Thats not a standard/ default option of SCCM, if that is something that you want you have to make/ script it yourself.

ah crap. Thanks for your reply.

But then how is this done in other companies? Standard Software for a division is easy, with assigning a task sequence that holds all the software packages for that division. But if for example two or three guys in that division have additional software installed, do you advertise them by hand? No automisation?

sorry for the rookie questions..

You can do it "by hand" with Collections based on AD Groups, or "semi-automatic" with AD Groups and a Task Sequence (like here: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1782-how-can-i-deploy-applications-based-on-ad-security-group-membership-for-computers-using-a-task-sequence/)