BRO-T

WDS restart per PXE boot

Question

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have used this site a lot to help understand Server 2008 and SCCM. Quick bit of history of where I am. I know some of the basics of SCCM and have now started a new job which I have inherited their SCCM server and setup so I'm still learning it.

We have a problem with deploying images via PXE. On the client we get an error saying no response from server. A quick restart of the Windows Deployment Service fixes the issue, but to do this for every new build is not acceptable.

In the event log this is the error message we are receiving

An error occurred while trying to initialize provider WdsImgSrv from C:\Windows\system32\WdsImgSrv.dll. Since this provider is not marked as critical, Windows Deployment Services server will continue.

Error Information: 0xC1030104

Hope you can help me!

5 answers to this question

After quick restart of the Windows Deployment Service ,what is the status of this service ? is it in stopped or started ?

can you try making service startup tyoe to automatic (delayed start) and try again.

No response from server usually client cannot locate WDS .

You can also try this to fix this up http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927770

After a restart of the WDS everything starts up fine in the events log, but then i get these 2 messages;

EVENT ID 258

The description for Event ID 258 from source WDSIMGSRV cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

0xC1030104

and;

Event ID 512

An error occurred while trying to initialize provider WdsImgSrv from C:\Windows\system32\WdsImgSrv.dll. Since this provider is not marked as critical, Windows Deployment Services server will continue.

Error Information: 0xC1030104

Folowed by;

Event ID 521

Provider WdsImgSrv was shutdown successfully.

Then it syas everything else started fine. Have already changed the startup to automatic delayed start.

This is a server 2008 64bit Virtual Machine.

Have you re intialize WDS server follow this link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927770

can you to uninstall WDS, reboot the server, rename the Remoteinstall folder, reinstall wds, reboot the server, configure wds to create new Remoteinstall folder, stop wds service, copy the content of the old Remoteinstall folder in the new one & start wds service.

for event id 258 see here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726654(WS.10).aspx