RedDR

Creating Task Sequence Media

Question

While im here fixing my own problems with thininstall, id thought i would post again.

I gave Creating Task Sequence Media a crack to see if its cool.

I have a customer that is remote and will want an SOE at some stage, so would be great to whack it on a bootable dvd and send to him.

The creation process was fine and got the disk burnt.

What I did notice when testing is that none of the drivers got installed, the TS did its thing, installed the OS and all applications (15) but ZERO drivers were installed ...

I had a quick hunt but couldnt find anything, ill give it another go when i have time, but if anyone has seen this, would be great.

AND

Im not being funny or anything, but why is everyone creating and capturing a reference image?

My experience has been around building the whole system from scratch, no wim images, just a straight install like a user was sitting there clicking next next next.

Why does everyone bother with maintaining a library of images? Why not just deploy straight from the original ISO?

I can understand if there is NO driver support and its easier to whack all drivers in and image that up .. but there is ..

Isnt it cleaner to install from scratch everytime and automate the installations?

Im assuming that creating a image would be faster to deploy? but with GB networks these days, is that an issue? Maybe if you had to deploy 1000 machines within 2 days?

I built a straight Win7 Ent x64 with Office 2010 x64, adobe reader, flash, shock, java, and a bunch of little apps.

Deployment was 30minutes via PXE. 1.5 hours over 10meg riverbed wan accel.

It was just a thought ... not a flame or anything .. just curious.

2 answers to this question

While im here fixing my own problems with thininstall, id thought i would post again.

I gave Creating Task Sequence Media a crack to see if its cool.

I have a customer that is remote and will want an SOE at some stage, so would be great to whack it on a bootable dvd and send to him.

The creation process was fine and got the disk burnt.

What I did notice when testing is that none of the drivers got installed, the TS did its thing, installed the OS and all applications (15) but ZERO drivers were installed ...

I had a quick hunt but couldnt find anything, ill give it another go when i have time, but if anyone has seen this, would be great.

Seems driver packages must be included as "Apply Driver Package" rather than the "auto apply drivers" or they are not included in the task sequence when it is written to media. If anyone has an explanation or fix for this it would be very useful.

Regards

Rokkitt