RedDR

Complete Solution for SOE management

Question

Just want to check that im on the right track here.

Basically looking at a new site that wants total management of all SOE and MOE.

Like most people, the less management and the most impact is what is being aimed for.

At the end of the day, the goal is to have all software installed or removed by dropping computer accounts in OU's

Building the initial SOE is a requirement too.

So im deploying bare XP or W7 to the tin, and getting all the drivers with the assistance of you guys with thininstaller!! :D

Everything is MSI'd, so piece of cake for the install and uninstall.

So ive come to a point where I drop an bare image on the tin then .....

Is the best approach to automatically whack the computer account in all the AD groups (or ill use nested groups) and let the image build itself when it feels like it .. (all computer account would be in the default SOE group)

OR

Is it better to build all the SOE applications at the time of the TS

does it really matter? I guess im concerned that i wont be able to uninstall the software, but I cant see why not, (just advertise the uninstall program to the uninstall collection)

I currently have groups

SCCM Adobe XXX

SCCM Microsoft Office

SCCM Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

SCCM Standard Operating Environment

etc for all applications

(the SCCM Standard Operating Environment..... group is in the soe applications i have determined, like adobe and office,etc)

I have created 4 collections (as per the guide)

Adobe Reader

Install Adobe

Remove Adobe

Currently Installed - Adobe

I just want to check and hear any problems with this approach, so effectively i want the machines to completely build themselves by being dropped into an AD Group.

Now, ill have to write a quick VBS to drop the computer account into the AD group so it can build itself post task sequence (if i dont get the TS to do the software installs)

Any thoughts would be great .... am i making this more complicated that it needs to be?

1 answer to this question

Don't worry about uninstalling, as that is always possible.

Just create a WIM image (with maybe some standard, not often changing, software 'builtin'), deploy standard/ general application at the end of the Task Sequence and deploy the rest of the software based on users or computers.