EPuariea

SCCM Application install package question???

Question

I need to build a SCCM application install package but the MSI install needs to run from its host server and not our distribution servers.

I have built several install packages and they have been advertised out and they install just fine. However I have two client installs that have to run from the Host server and will not run from the distribution servers. The client install needs to run from the host server. We do not have the knowledge needed to create an install package to run from the host server.

Our network admin said he set up the (Network Access Account), I checked the host server and it looks like the account has rights to the server now. When I create the package it's not clear to me what options and settings need to be made to successfully advertise the install package from the host server.

Has anybody had to create an install like this? If so can someone walk me through the set up?

It's worth a coke and a smile if you will.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

The users that are installing the software need read/execute from the share they are pulling the software. Can you post the CCMEXEC and EXECMGR logs from a client where it has failed?

Thanks for the response Maximus.

Yes I just checked and the user I want to do the install as can path out to the share and run the install manually at this point. When I create the install package i am telling the Package to find the MSI on our share, i then build the advertisment but it never shows up on the client. I do not think I am creating the package correctly as I think I am missing something.

I stand corrected, I built the package today but the advertisment had not had a chance to show up on the system. It did arrive and I just ran the SCCM package, it showed that it failed.

I have attached the two log files for your review.

Thanks again for your help.

Ed

From the execmgr.log,it says,error 2--->The system cannot find the file specified and Script for Package:IDS00128, Program: Per-system unattended failed with exit code 1619-->This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Clients will always connect to DP to install packages and not from host server(I mean source Location) and client uses Network access account to get connect to DP for packages.

So you will have to make the package avilable on DP,set NAAccount with correct password with required advertisement options(run from DP or download and run)

Clients will always connect to DP to install packages and not from host server(I mean source Location) and client uses Network access account to get connect to DP for packages.

Not totally true. A client will always first try to connect with its computeraccount (computername$), within the domain this should be enough. The Network Access Account is used for computers that are outside the domain and sometimes during OS Deployment.

For more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680398.aspx

Not totally true. A client will always first try to connect with its computeraccount (computername$), within the domain this should be enough. The Network Access Account is used for computers that are outside the domain and sometimes during OS Deployment.

For more information: http://technet.micro...y/bb680398.aspx

Ah.Okay ,should this be the case in SMS environment as well ? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180360.aspx

there is change in NAA Account functionality from SMS to SCCM .

Behaviour is still the same :)

Quote from your article: "After the SMS client has tried using its computer account and the logged on user account to connect to the distribution point, the client attempts to connect using the Advanced Client Network Access Account."

From the execmgr.log,it says,error 2--->The system cannot find the file specified and Script for Package:IDS00128, Program: Per-system unattended failed with exit code 1619-->This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

So you will have to make the package avilable on DP,set NAAccount with correct password with required advertisement options(run from DP or download and run)

So as i understand it there is no possible way to build a package based on the MSI and have it run from the Host/Source server and not the DP? Man ZenWorks was able to run an MSI from pretty much anywhere.

SCCM can also run from pretty much anywhere, I just don't get why it has to run from the 'source server'.

Also, maybe you can say what your package looks like (program, commandline, location, etc.) and what it has to do.

Thanks for your help.

I have two Client / Server installs that I need to run from the HOST and not the DP. CT Summation 2.7 and Trial Director 6.2 Network version. The MSI have to run from the host as it pulls install and pathing information during the install. We have tried to run the install while copied over to the local system and from other shares, ETC.... and it always complains that it needs other code. We have ZENWORKS console one and have tried to use the snapshot to create a NAL object and that has never worked well for these two apps. We also use Wise Package Studio and that does not capture the install well either. So we have spent many hours trying to work around the issue and we have never been able to install the client unless the MSI is at home so to speak.