Robbie

"End of deployment" message in OSD

Question

Hi guys,

I'm deploying Windows 7 in our orginisation succesfully, however some laptop users have decidede to remove their laptop off their dosking station before the OSD completes due to a number of reboots for software installs etc.

Is there a way where the OSD can display a message prior to the initial CTRL +ALT +DEL screen "Deployment is complete" Or soemthing along those lines. A VBS Script would probably work, however I've not got a clue how it would display the message within the OSD with a "click here to logon or reboot" message popup.

Thanks

Robbie

9 answers to this question

yup you can do it like so (assuming you have MDT integrated with SCCM to avail of the scripts therein)

1. place a the following Script in a subdirectory (call it customscripts or similar) of your MDT Files Scripts folder eg: \scripts\customscripts), and update the MDT files package to the dp's.

2. place a step at the end of the task sequence which is Use Toolkit Package

3. create a Run Command Line step in the task sequence that runs after the Use Toolkit package step, this step runs a script and the scripts contents are below, let's call the script Task_Sequence_Completed.WSF

<job id="setEnv">
 <script language="VBScript" src="..\ZTIUtility.vbs"/>
 <script language="VBScript">

Dim oTSProgressUI
set oTSProgressUI = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSProgressUI")
oTSProgressUI.CloseProgressDialog()

MsgBox "Task Sequence Completed." & chr(13) & chr(13) & chr(13) & chr(13) & "Please click OK to logon to Windows.",0, "Success"

</script>
</job>

The Run Command line step should read

cscript.exe "%Deployroot%\scripts\customscripts\task_sequence_completed.wsf"

that's it, once your task sequence is complete this will be the last step to run and will pause with a messagebox until the user clicks ok. you should probably place these steps in a group called Task Sequence Completed OK and make sure that the options tab has the following option selected Task Sequence variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded = True, that way it would only run if the ts completed OK.

cheers

niall

Thats great! Thanks so much.

The other question I have is related to running slmgr.vbs within a task sequence. We are deploying Windows Enterprise x64 and I have a command at the end of the task sequence to set the skms and activate the client. The sksms works fine, however when running ATO I'm getting an error code because the command prompt is not running as an elevated user.. I thought the system account would do this?

Anyhow my set -ato is "cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -ATO" I have got slmgr.vbs inside a package assigned to this step in the task sequence. It worked fine for 32bit machines, but fails on x64

6/3/2011 9:31:13 AM TSManager 2752 (0x0AC0) The execution of the group (Set SKMS and email notify) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.

Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)

6/3/2011 9:31:13 AM TSManager 2752 (0x0AC0) Failed to run the last action: Set ATO. Execution of task sequence failed.

Unknown error (Error: C004F038; Source: Unknown)

Getting an error when running the script to display the message. Any ideas?

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM InstallSoftware 664 (0x0298) The task sequencer log is located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Logs\SMSTSLog\SMSTS.LOG. For task sequence failures, please consult this log.

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM InstallSoftware 664 (0x0298) C:\_SMSTaskSequence\WDPackage\scripts\customscripts\task_sequence_completed.wsf(5, 2) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Object doesn't support this property or method

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM InstallSoftware 664 (0x0298)

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM InstallSoftware 664 (0x0298) Command line returned 1

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM TSManager 2996 (0x0BB4) Process completed with exit code 1

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM TSManager 2996 (0x0BB4) !--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!

6/3/2011 1:49:36 PM TSManager 2996 (0x0BB4) Failed to run the action: Notify User.

Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows)

hmm and you followed my instructions correctly ? perhaps you need to disable 64 bit redirection on the step, i'll try and test it tonite

hmm and you followed my instructions correctly ? perhaps you need to disable 64 bit redirection on the step, i'll try and test it tonite

Follwed them to the letter. AS always thanks for your help on this one!

I just tested it and it did error just like yours but i had left out the job id,

so I pasted it in and it worked fine,

do like me press f8 before the ts is finished and execute the script manually and see what happens

success.png

once you have the script working it'll look like this

success.png

Sory a little confused. Does the job ID get created by the task sequence and the WSF script should pick it up. I can manually insert the job Id, I gues asking the script to find it is the hard part :)?

THanks again

no i just meant that i had the same error as i left out the job id in my script (paste error), it's working fine now for me and does exactly like i said it would,

so is your script ok ? are you using multiple versions of MDT files in your task sequence, that could cause a problem

heres the step in my ts

task sequence successful.png