RhoSysAdmin

PXE Boot reboots over and over

Question

I'm trying to work through the XP build and capture tutorial with my SCCM 2007 R3 system. The first suspicious thing is that the workstation identifies it's architecture as x64 at the bios, but then it will load my boot image. I see the SCCM 2007 splash screen, but then after a minute it reboots. I thought it might be that it wasn't a bare metal workstation, so I wiped the existing volume on it, but that didn't make a difference.

I enabled command support, but F8 doesn't get me a command prompt. I've updated the distribution point for my OS install image, and double checked my task sequence against the tutorial in this forum. I don't know where to look next.

[update]

I apparently didn't do a clean removal of WDS and PXE before. I've done it again and now when it boots, it still identifies itself as x64 architecture, and I can still hit F12 and it does load the boot image I chose, and I still see the SCCM splash screen. I can now hit F8 and get a command prompt, but I cannot find any log files to review. It still reboots w/o having partitioned the hard drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

KH

1 answer to this question

Problem turned out to be wrong nic driver (XP driver on SCCM 2007 SP2 boot image instead of Win 7 nic driver).

This issue is solved.

KH

I'm trying to work through the XP build and capture tutorial with my SCCM 2007 R3 system. The first suspicious thing is that the workstation identifies it's architecture as x64 at the bios, but then it will load my boot image. I see the SCCM 2007 splash screen, but then after a minute it reboots. I thought it might be that it wasn't a bare metal workstation, so I wiped the existing volume on it, but that didn't make a difference.

I enabled command support, but F8 doesn't get me a command prompt. I've updated the distribution point for my OS install image, and double checked my task sequence against the tutorial in this forum. I don't know where to look next.

[update]

I apparently didn't do a clean removal of WDS and PXE before. I've done it again and now when it boots, it still identifies itself as x64 architecture, and I can still hit F12 and it does load the boot image I chose, and I still see the SCCM splash screen. I can now hit F8 and get a command prompt, but I cannot find any log files to review. It still reboots w/o having partitioned the hard drive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

KH