fredlwal

noob windows 7 imaging

Question

Well, I’m new to windows 7 imaging and now we just got in 12 dell vostro 3550 laptops in that don’t come with windows XP drivers so now I have to start using windows 7. We currently use ghost to copy images up to a external HD. Does anyone have a step by step walkthrough on how to image the laptops with all the same settings and also copy the default profile? Yes, I’m a noob when it comes to windows 7 imaging and its nothing like XP use to be.

1 answer to this question

Since you are new to imaging, let me start by giving you a link to the Deliver and Deploy page of the Springboard Series on TechNet. Here you will find information and tools you can use to accomplish your goal. There are some great articles in the ‘Start with the Basics’ section that will help you get started.

I recommend that you get MDT – the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, which is a common console for several deployment tools including Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), and Windows System Image Manager (WSIM).

Here is a link to a KB article that should help with setting up and copying the default profile: How to Customize the default local user profile…

You are getting all the same model machines this time, but Windows 7 can have an image that is hardware independent and you can add the drivers for various models to MDT and not have an image for each model anymore. You can also deploy software while deploying the OS.

That should be enough to get you started…

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro