Anyone have any good information on how Max run time is calculated for SCCM 2012 software update deployments?

Last month i ran into issues deploying updates, and had to manually kick them off, because the max run times exceeded the Maintenance window. Updates stuck at status of

"Past due - will be installed"

I know i can select ignore maintenance window on deadline, but wanted to ensure updates will not install/reboot outside specified maintenance windows. I would also like to minimize the duration of the maintenance windows to just a little more than the required time for the patches and reboots.

Servers are missing a lot of patches, don't think it will be an issue once we get them on a normal update cycle.

Thanks

I found the info on Technet

Maximum run time

: Sets the maximum number of minutes that a software update installation has to complete before the installation is no longer monitored by Configuration Manager. This setting is also used to determine whether there is enough time to install the update before the end of a maintenance window. The default setting is 60 minutes for service packs and 5 minutes for all other software update types. Values can range from 5 to 9999 minutes.

It can be set from

\Software Library\Overview\Software Updates\All Software Updates

getting the properties of the update.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712304#BKMK_SoftwareUpdatesSettings