boyjaew2

Duplicate MAC possibly making reports inaccurrate

I recently upgraded to SCCM 2012 RTM. During the pre-req check I was notified that there were Client Duplicate IDs. The install went fine (as far as I know), but I ran the Computers with duplicate MAC addresses report and found that many of the clients showed up having two or more MACs one unique and these -

00:05:9A:3C:78:00 - which seems to be for the IPSEC cisco VPN client we use.

00:05:9A:3C:7A:00 - which is for a SSL cisco VPN client.

00:50:56:C0:00:01 - which I think is attatched to VMplayer that is installed on some of the clients

My questions are these

1) Is this going to screw with the reports?

2) Do I need to somehow remove these other MACs ?

3) If I do need to remove them how the heck can I do that?

4) Is this even what the warning was trying to tell me?

Attached is a copy of the report for what it's worth.

Thanks, for your time.

MAC-dupes.pdf

maybe the report is wrong??

Have you used the resource explorer on each machine in question to see if the MAC addresses are coming up as the same??(I doubt they are)

I just ran this report and I have approx 8 machines all uniquely named and the MAC address is different, but still this report says they are duplicate even though it is plain to see the MAC addresses are not the same......... on my report anyway...

Try resource explorer on each machine and find MAC address to see if they match

They are not virtual machines by any chance??

If they are then there is a good chance they could be duplicated, especially after OSD..

Rocket Man

It looks like the report might be based on the first two MACs associated with each client from lowest MAC to highest. So, it's just grabbing the first two that it sees. In my case 00:05:9A:3C:78:00 - Cisco VPN clients is the lowest value MAC on the clients popping up in the report. On a client I am looking at right now the next MAC is 00:21:6A:3C:1F:EC which is the wireless NIC. This pattern applies to many of the clients on our domain. There don't seem to be any problems.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is going to present a problem of any kind, say, with software reports etc. Also, is there a way to clean it up so that SCCM only considers the main NIC for a unique MAC?

Should not cause major concern.......Try remoting controlling to the machines in question, try Program deployment to the machines in question of course try them individually and if the remote session conects and programs deploy to the specified targeted machine then you are good to go, but by all means do have all the machines turned on at the time just to make sure that the Rmc and program deployment works on an individual basis.

Check the conflicting records node also, see if it has matched anything. I have a query that looks for duplicate records which works well, sometimes there can be duplicate enteries of the same machine which can cause problems.

select R.ResourceID,R.ResourceType,R.Name,R.SMSUniqueIdentifier,R.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,R.Client from SMS_R_System as r full join SMS_R_System as s1 on s1.ResourceId = r.ResourceId full join SMS_R_System as s2 on s2.Name = s1.Name where s1.Name = s2.Name and s1.ResourceId != s2.ResourceId

Rocket Man