pbalderos

Unable to connect WSUS to database server on a remote computer

Hell0 all!

I am installing sql server 2008 r2 but I have encountered the followig error message on the WSUW wizard:

Failed to connect to SQL server

VM-SQL-SCCM\MSSQLSERVER

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (ParseConnect Params().]Invalid connection

Click back to try another database configuration

I changed authentication on the DB properties>Security> changed server authentication from windows Authen mode to SQL server and

windows authenticaiton but still cant connect my WSUS server to the sql server. This is my first time installing SQL and I did not pay attention to the instance name so I didnt know that I would have to recall it later. I am thinking its mssqlserver or MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER. So when I try to connect the WSUS server to the SQL server in the WSUS wizard i use the name od the sql server \ instance name in my case vm-sql-sccm\mssqlserver and I tried vm-sql-sccm\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER

Other actions performed:

- I added to the WSUS server to the local admin group on the SQL server itself

- I was unable to ping the sql server from the WSUS server so I disabled the firewall and was thenable to ping but i still cannot

connect the WSUS server to the SQL server.

Also, I chose to install sql on a seperate vm and sccm/wsus on another vm. Since I am practicing in anticiption of a migration from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 I wanted to simulate an enterprise enviorment as much as possible.

Please help

Is the firewall disabled on the sql server or at least the sql ports opened up on it?

Can you connect to the sql server from the sccm server i:e ping it etc??

Also if this a production environment for SCCM then it is recommended that the WSUS database have a seperate instance and not the default instance....so you would be using the default instance for the ConfigMgr databases and another for WSUS....it leaves it easier to troubleshoot if any issues arises.

Good Morning!

- I created an Inbound rule on the firewall on the sql server to open port 1433.

- When I could not ping between the two vms i disabled the firewall on both, restarted the vms and then I was able to ping but still unable to connect wsus to sql

- WSUS and SQL are on two separete vms

- I am using WSUS 3.0 and sql server 2008r2.

- i am able to ping the SQL server from the WSUS server and also connect via remote desktop

Side: During the install of sql on the screen Server configuration where you would configure the Service accounts I think I may have screwed up here

It seems that this is an authentication issue. this is crazy

It looks like all I had to do was just use the sql server name. I was able to connect to the sql server by omiting the \mssqlserver portion and just typing in the name of my server