HEHS_Matt

So many errors post-SP1 - should I just trash SCCM and start from scratch?

So I rebuilt my SCCM server - fresh install, same Site Code. All my existing clients are popping back up on the new console so that's great!

Unfortunately, I'm still having exactly the same build issues as before so this has been a completely fruitless exercise! Oh well, back to the drawing board...

VMs build fine.

DH61WW motherboards build, install drivers, but fail to join the domain during the TS. Tried multiple driver versions, same old story.

DG41TX motherboards I can't find a working Broadcom driver for at the moment.

The fact the VMs build fine suggests there's no underlying SCCM issue. It can only be a combination of network infrastructure/BIOS/drivers on the affected machines, but I'm blowed if I can make any progress.

At present, I still cannot deploy an OS to any of my computers anywhere.

Gah...

DH61WW motherboards build, install drivers, but fail to join the domain during the TS. Tried multiple driver versions, same old story.

If you have software tasks after the setup configMgr step are these successful?

On the affected machines, when they are finished, and you login to them do they have the NIC driver installed?

If you have software tasks after the setup configMgr step are these successful?

On the affected machines, when they are finished, and you login to them do they have the NIC driver installed?

This board, as it turned out, required a BIOS update to build. Strange, since it built on SCCM RTM just fine, but SP1? No dice.

It's a fiddly update as well. They obviously have quite an old BIOS on them already, since I have to upgrade to two intermediate BIOS revisions before I can apply the latest. And then, I have to remove the BIOS jumper and the BIOS battery to apply the last stage. Bit annoying, since I've now got to do that on another 120 workstations!

I've found a working Driver for my Broadcom NIC on the other Intel board as well, so for the moment I'm cooking on gas again. Task sequences are running, drivers are installing and whether or not I needed to re-install, I now have a much cleaner and well organised SCCM installation (since I was an early adopter, and the best practice guides have improved somewhat since I first installed).

In conclusion, what really did me over was not the SP1 update itself, but the Windows PE update - this is the bit that caused my machines to stop doing what they used to do during builds, and is the bit that has required me to look at BIOS updates and re-assess my driver library to cope with the change. Given more time (and a clearer, stress-free head) I may have figured this out without the need to rebuild completely, but at the time it seemed like the problems were crawling out of everywhere, rather than being focussed on one elements of SCCM.

Either way I'm happy. Clean SCCM install, successful Task Sequences. Now back to re-importing all my applications...

-M