Hutch

Nothing works after database restore

I have a single server site that I had to rebuild so I backed up the database, re-installed SCCM 2012 R2, then restored the database. To my dismay, when I opened the console, all of my hard work was missing.

I learned that ownership of the database is changed to the logged on user when backing it up so I changed that back to sa and to my joy, when I opened the console, all of my previous configurations were there. The joy was short lived however when I found that nothing was working.

After much tinkering, then giving up and recreating my boot images, OS image, deleting everything from the server, then distributing and deploying the new images, I am finally able to deploy an OS, but that is where I hit a brick wall. I cannot get updates or applications out to any computers, regardless of whether the computers were deployed with the original or rebuilt configuration manager. Rebuilding an application from scratch doesn't help either.

The only issues I see in Component Status are with the Enrollment Point, which I am not using but I mention it here in case it is related to my issues, and SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER.

The SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER component shows this warning:

Inventory Data Loader failed to process the delta MIF file "XH7VAWI77.MIF" and has moved it to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box\BADMIFS\NonExistentRow\t1mncg1b.MIF." Possible cause: The file attempted to update inventory information in the site database that does not already exist, or the file contains invalid syntax. Solution: The client inventory needs to be resynchronized, which will be done automatically. Look for the status messages 2714 and 2715, which indicate the resynchronization has begun.

The SMS_ENROLL_SERVER component is reporting this error (IIS is configured to listen on ports 80 and 443 with a valid certificate):

Enrollment Point Control Manager detected that the Enrollment Point is not responding to HTTP/HTTPS requests. The http status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error. Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which Enroll Service is configured to communicate.

On the clients:

PolicyAgent.log is loaded with this error:

Signature verification failed for PolicyAssignmentID

execmgr.log has this warning:

Software Distribution site settings (CCM_SoftwareDistributionClientConfig) policy does not yet exist on the client

No errors in LocationServices.log or ClientLocation.log so it is talking to the MP. Devices show up in the console as Active with recent heartbeats and policy requests.

I have spent far too much time on this. I hope someone has a solution better than the wipe and rebuild that I am contemplating.

I deleted all the server certificates as per this article and rebooted to recreate them. That fixed my "Signature verification failed" error from the PolicyAgent log. I don't see any errors anywhere now except for the Enrollment Point but I don't care about that right now.

Since regenerating the certificates on the server, the clients now have new symptoms. No more policy errors but they aren't receiving policies. In Software Center it says IT Organization instead of the company name I defined in the default client settings. Also the config Manager Control Panel Actions tab only shows Machine and User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycles. Nothing else.

The method that you describe above to restore your CM!2 site is NOT supported (at least not as described). I would review the Docs on how to restore your site using just a SQL db. From there preform the missing steps required to restore your site. With any luck it will allow you to get back just about everything.

Everything is working now after regenerating the certificates, except for my Enrollment Point but I think that's unrelated and will start a new thread for that. Reinstalling the client isn't necessary.

Even though I stupidly tried to restore my site without properly researching the proper method, others may find themselves having to restore the database for some other reason and find themselves in the same mess I did so this could still be a useful thread for someone.

Don't get me wrong, my point about SQL restore is that are a lot of moving parts to CM12 and if the restore is not done correctly you could have problems that go unnoticed for a long time. (backup failing; SSRS security; MP / DP issues, Client inventory; SUP sync issues; for example)

I would at minimum preform a site reset to help ensure that all premising and related items are hopefully fixed.

For others that find this post: