I am having problems with getting some OOBE Settings in unattend.xml applied to my image. After spending a week troubleshooting it, I am noticing that during my OSD task sequence execution, not all the settings of my MDT Settings Package's unattend.xml are being copied over to the C:\windows\panther\unattend\unattend.xml.
- OSD Image Built and Captured using MDT 2010 Update 1 - W7 SP1 x64 with French language package added and all Windows Updates as of June 2014 downloaded directly from Windows Update via the MDT TS before it was sysprep and captured as wim. Used VMware Workstation to build the image, no drivers.
- SCCM lab environment is 2007 SP2 R2 with MDT 2010 Update 1 integration, also tried with MDT 2012 Update 1 integration with same result.
- SCCM-MDT Zero touch TS used. Nothing changed in MDT Toolkit Package.
- MDT Settings package unattend.xml modified the OOBE settings section to pass language settings from Task Sequence as below:
- The values for these variables are in the TS and I've verified that they can be read by the unattend.xml.
What happens is after the image has been applied and Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step runs. I hit F8 and check the unattend.xml copied to C:\Windows\panther\unattend location. The file doesn't have some of the settings from my original file. The settings I passed in specialize pass got copied but oobeSystem wasn't.
Using the same Task sequence and MDT Settings package, I changed the OS image to another one I grabbed from the net with Windows updates until Nov 2013 only and it worked fine, all the settings were applied and xml in the panther folder had the correct settings. Just using VMware Workstation 10 for all my tests.
Any ideas on how the panther unattend.xml is generated during OSD? What's wrong in my image that's causing this issue?
I'm attaching my logs and unattend xml files for reference.
Unattend - MDT Settings.XML
unattend - copied in panther.xml