ksdst1

WSUS 3.0 Install Problem

Question

Hi All,

I am having issues to install WSUS 3.0 SP1/SP2 onto a newly rebuilt server. I rebuilt this server to match its original schema after a hardware failure, while moving from W2003 to W2008 (and thus IIS6 to II7). This server was originally configured as a DC, web server and WSUS server. I need to reinstall WSUS to completely match that original schema (not optimal but what I need to accomplish).

I was able to install wsus via server manager by changing the server's registry entry to not look to its self for updates as is applied via a GPO, so it went out to the net and downloaded/installed WSUS SP1. However, at the end of the install I still get the same error message I have gotten after a few install tries with the stand alone installs. Msg below;

[The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.]

Not sure how to interpret this and I fear it is an IIS7/IIS6 (compatible features) connection issue, as no matter what method I use to install wsus, I get to the point where the console won't finish the configuration. It won't connect using “reset node” when accessing wsus from server manager, or even when I launch the wsus.exe and try to manually connect.

On the original server that crashed, all evidence pointed to the fact that both an organizational website and wsus where using port 80 before (I had access to a WIM or that server to mount and look at IIS6 and Group Policy settings captured at the time it crashed), but many wsus write ups state to use 8530 if there is something else already running on 80 that might "cause problems". I need to confirm that running a standard web site and wsus on port 80 won't “cause problems” in IIS7, and if not, are there any manual settings that need to be set in (perhaps in regard to vdir's) after the install does its thing. By the way, I did install once using 8530 and still got the same error.

The only other area of possible suspicion I ran across is the subject of “verifying” permissions to various wsus directories after the install. I would assume that they would be correct by the default install. I can’t seem to find a technet entry that covers this specific for W2008x86 and WSUS 3.0 SP2.

All constructive ideas are hugely welcomed!

post-23896-0-17625700-1392743479_thumb.png

1 answer to this question

Buongiorno! :(

I have the same error on my server.

I describe my work environment

• WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit SP1
  • SCCM2012 RTM
  • WSUS 3.0 SP2 installed with the setup.exe because [they are not connected to the Internet
  • IIS7