joeman1881

Multicast - Why not?

I have somewhat of a rookie question. I realized just recently that I haven't enabled multicast deployments from my DP. This whole time I was under the assumption that they were automatically enabled (silly me). Now that my environment is functional is there any reason why I wouldn't want to enable this feature? I have 1 other system that uses multicast in our environment, and it is used for streaming local TV channels to our different rooms. We have an epic dual 10gb connection to each of our sites so bandwidth/collisions shouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes the techs will re-image a lab of 30-40 machines at one time, which is a scenario where I'm thinking multicast should be enabled. Any opinions on issues I may run into?

Thanks

The only thing I ran into was bandwidth. We don't have the luxury of a 10Gb network :( so we had quite a bit of network issues and packet loss. I only turn it on during holidays when I'm imagine rooms like you mention above, 30-40...etc. otherwise, just do it and see imo.

The only thing I ran into was bandwidth. We don't have the luxury of a 10Gb network :( so we had quite a bit of network issues and packet loss. I only turn it on during holidays when I'm imagine rooms like you mention above, 30-40...etc. otherwise, just do it and see imo.

Thanks for the reply. I will talk to my desktop team and see if they'd rather try now, or do it later. They are deploying 4000 machines over the next 4 months. We only have 4000 machines right (800 of which are xp and coming out) now so it's going to be pretty hectic. I'll let them decide if they'd like to give it a shot.

SO....Finally got around to enabling this and figured out a few network issues that were blocking multicast but I got it to work. Too bad it's wayyyy slower than running unicast deployments. Not sure what's causing the bottleneck. I looked around online and found a few similar complaints, but no fixes. There are registry adjustments that can be made but from the looks of it, they didn't make things faster than the standard unicast deployments. Anyone run into this issue in their environment?

As well as just enabling multicast, have you enabled it on each image in their respective properties?

Yes. I upped the speed to 1gbps, and let it run for roughly 20 minutes and the image was maybe 50% downloaded. I then switched back to unicast to try a deployment the old way, and I'm able to download the wim in less than 20 seconds. Apparently I was being greedy hoping for faster deployment. I should have probably timed it prior to making the changes.