Kazi

SCCM 2012 R2 - Software Update folders deleting

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding Software Update folders in SCCM 2012 R2 but first let me give you a little background about my environment.

We are running R2 and have been for about 3 months now. I have one Primary server which has WSUS and SCCM on. I use SCCM to deploy all Windows Updates to both servers and workstations.

When I need to download and distribute Windows Updates, I go into All Software Updates and use my saved searches that I have created. First I search for Windows Updates for servers and select all the ones that apply to my environment. I then right click and choose DOWNLOAD which requires me to create a Deployment Package. I create the new deployment package (ex. Windows Updates for Servers - April 2014) and when it asks me for a download path, I download them to \\ServerName\Updates\ServerUpdates-April2014 and let them download. After the download is complete I create my Software Update Group and set up my deployments. I do the same thing for workstations, I just create a folder in Updates named WorkstationUpdates-April2014 and do the download for the workstations into that folder.

Last week Friday, I went into the \\ServerName\Updates folder and saw that there were only 2 folders in there. One of them was for my automatic Endpoint definition updates and the other is a folder with a GUID for a name. Since I had server updates to be deployed on Saturday, I created a new Deployment Package, downloaded the Windows Updates again, recreated a Software Update Group, picked my distribution point and set my deployments. This created the folder in \\ServerName\Updates and everything appeared to be good.

Today (Monday) I checked the \\ServerName\Updates folder and all the folders in there are missing again with the exception of the folder for automatic Endpoint definition updates and the folder with the GUID for a name. I checked the Windows Update deployment that was scheduled for Saturday and it shows 100%. In the past these folders were not removed and I cannot figure out what changed in SCCM that is causing them to be removed now. I don't have the deployment set to expire and this is the "usual" way I deployed them in the past.

I have checked with other admins here and they have all told me that they have not deleted anything on the server. There is only one other admin that has full access to SCCM like I do and he swears he didn't remove anything. Right now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where these folders have gone and if I need them or not since the job was deployed to the DP. As long as I don't update the deployment package then my update deployments should deploy without a problem, correct?

Thanks in advance to any information anyone can provide. I read thought this thread: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9077-my-content-is-deleting-itself/ but there wasn't any type of resolution given.

Thanks for the info Peter. Any clue as to what could be removing the folders? I am going to create new software update deployments (again) in hopes that they will stay. I have workstation updates that should be deployed this evening.

There is nothing within in ConfigMgr that would trigger a deletion of that folder.

The only thing that I can think of right now is that there is another package with as source path a folder of a level higher (so it includes the other package folder), but even then I don't think that ConfigMgr would remove the folder.

I wasn't sure if ConfigMgr was trying to remove expired or superseded updates, but these updates are from April 2014 patch Tuesday - so none of them should be expired and/or superseded. I downloaded and created the deployment jobs on April 9 and I deployed to test groups that evening without and issue. On Friday I downloaded all Office updates and when I went into the UPDATES folder to create the OfficeUpdates-April2014 folder is when I noticed that all my folders in there were missing... I never cleaned them up - I just left them alone in there, so all of last year's folders were in there as well. I went into Download Packages, right clicked on the package name and Show Members. I highlighted them all and clicked on Download. SCCM provisioned them very fast but did not download them, probably because it believes they were already downloaded for that job. I had to create new Deployment Packages and Software Update Groups to get them downloaded again. Once I had them downloaded, I deployed to my next group on Saturday with success. I came in today and checked the UPDATES folder but all the folders inside of there are gone again. I checked the SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER because it has a warning ! in front and it reports that the Distribution Manager failed to process the package "Windows Updates for Servers - April 2014" with the list of possible causes, (not having access, no drive space, etc.) but I checked the Deployments and it is reporting 100% compliant - that's why I was wondering if once the package is distributed to the distro point, does it need to be in the \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates folder anymore?

I really don't have any idea what is causing these folders to disappear, but it worries me that something is wrong and this is just the beginning of issues to come.

Update on this - I recreated everything yesterday and downloaded the updates again. My deployment last night had a high success compliance percentage and the folders from yesterday are still there... I'll keep an eye on it to see if they disappear or not.

The folders are deleted again - it happened between my last post and this one... I'm not sure what's up but I'm getting pretty frustrated.

There aren't any weird scripts running as scheduled tasks, or anti virus applications that interfere?

I have Endpoint Protection on the server - but I don't think that's what is removing the folders... I checked for any scripts and there aren't any that I can find. I'm the only admin with the exception of another guy here and he said he doesn't even know how to create a script to remove the folders. :) I'm really at a loss - I have created the deployment packages and the software update groups EXACTLY as I have in the past and I didn't have these issues before.

I asked the other SCCM admin if he did anything in SCCM or on the server. He said he deleted old software update groups but not the software update packages or delete anything off the server. I don't think that's the problem because my current software update groups are affected as well. In the link I posted in my first post, the final post by Abe says the update packages were downloaded to the root of the share. I'm not exactly following what he means - but my update package downloads are created on \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates and then I create a folder for servers or workstations with the date, so for servers this month I made a folder ServerUpdates-April2014 - so the complete path is \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates\ServerUpdates-April2014 and inside of that are the download folders with GUID names.

I'll keep digging today but I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks to all for reading and giving your input.

Have you tried creating a new updates source folder, perhaps on a different partition or even one outside of the one you are using now? Just to rule out there is nothing malicious running at the root of the source directory you have at the moment that could be removing these directories.

Never seen this before but here is something kinda similar ... Link

EDIT: just seen that you have seen this link :blink:

Sure Peter - last Wednesday I went into Software Updates - All Software Updates and searched for Microsoft products for Windows XP and Windows 8.1 that were released within the last month. Once I had that search filtered, I highlighted the required Windows Updates and clicked on Download which prompted me to create a Deployment Package. When creating the deployment package, I am asked for a package source location which I point to \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates\ and then I created a folder called WorkstationUpdates-April2014 and I chose that folder. I chose my distro point and chose to download the updates from the internet. Once I finished everything and the downloads completed, I checked my Deployment Package and verified that it points to \\ServerName\CM_DSL\Updates\WorkstationUpdates-April2014. Inside of that folder are the GUID folders of the updates that were downloaded from Microsoft. I hope that's what you are asking for?

Rocket Man, I have not yet tried changing the update folder location. I was hoping to be able to get through deploying the updates this month before trying that.

By the way, as of right now the folders are still there since I copied them back yesterday at 3:41 PM.

I don't think this was the problem, but this morning I went through my Site Maintenance and I noticed that "Rebuild Indexes" was enabled although it *should* be disabled by default. I don't remember turning that on - maybe the other SCCM admin did but I did set it so it is not enabled. Again, I don't think that would be deleting my folders but so far they are still there.

Just an update on this - I thought I had this nipped in the bud by setting permissions on the Update folder because the folders were there last week since my last post in April 16... Then yesterday the other SCCM Admin created an update deployment and said the folders are gone again!

Is there something in R2 that is "designed" to delete those folders in order to keep it clean? I *believe* I can still deploy the updates because they were copied to the DP - but I'm not certain. I'm going to set up a test computer and deploy to it using a Windows Update job where the folders are deleted to see what happens. I'll report back.

Did you ask the other admin which actions he performed?

Yes - He said he didn't delete anything. He said he went in to create the new update and when SCCM asked him where to save the downloaded files, he went to the server\Updates folder and was going to create the folder on the fly. That's when he noticed the previous folders were missing.

Can you be a bit more specific?

• What do you mean with "create the new update"?
  • What do you mean with "asked him where to save the downloaded files, he went to.."?

Downloading the updates should just be selecting the deployment package during the wizard.....

He went into Software Updates and downloaded updates for Windows - when he selected what he wanted to download he clicked on Download which asked him if he had a deployment package already created or if he wanted to create a new one. He chose create new deployment package and for Package Source, he clicked on Browse and went out to \\SERVER\CM_DSL\UPDATES and when in there, he clicked on New Folder and created the folder "Workstation Update" then chose that folder and clicked OK and Next. That's how he saw the folders were gone again - because when he created the new folder he noticed none of the other ones were there.

Does that make sense?

It doesn't make sense that the folders are gone, it can only be a manual action... Why even creating a new package?

Isn't that just maybe were it went wrong with somebody, just accedently selecting the top-folder instead of creating a new folder (which I would do before walking through the wizard)?

Thanks Peter. What I did was I created his "own" update folder and I'm going to have him use that one when he creates a update - that way I will be able to watch and see if his folders disappear and mine do not.

Just to confirm that you are not crazy. I have the exact same thing happening. My downloaded updates are also missing and we are unable to find the cause. We do not have any scripts running or special installs for our SCCM enviroment.

Thanks,

Ross

Just to check, you guys create a new folder for each update package right?

So for example:

\\ServerName\Updates\UpdatePackage1

\\ServerName\Updates\UpdatePackage2

\\ServerName\Updates\UpdatePackage3

etc

As far as I know and you are free to correct me on this one but if you enter the same folder (\\ServerName\Updates)for all the update packages and SCCM's package validation comes around it will empty out the folder because the rest in there from the other packages should'nt be there.

Hi guys,

same issue here, I have a customer with a small SCCM 2012 R2 with randomly update packages disappearing from the Updates folder. Doing this http://www.verboonSPAM!/2013/08/configmgr-2012-troubleshooting-a-software-update-package/ solves the problem for the missing package, but the problem keeps showing up every week or so....

David Papini

MCT,MCSE

I ran into a similar problem and came across this thread trying to track down the cause. In my situation, I found a Forefront Defs package a prior admin had setup that was pointed at the root of our package share \\<server>\Packages, where we are storing all our update packages. The package was also being updated by an automatic deployment rule.

My guess is the ADR was running, seeing folders that weren't part of the Defs package at the root, and clearing out everything else, like: \\<server>\Packages\Win_7_Updates, \\<server>\Packages\Win_8_Updates

I've pointed the Defs package to a subfolder, am rebuilding my other packages, and will see how it works out.

I am having the EXACT same problem as the OP. every month right before patch Tuesday I have to remember to recreate the folders and then the folders disappear. I have no idea why and no answers were posted in this thread. has anyone solved this??