Kops

Differences between CD and Standalone OSD

I have created a task sequence for a new set of Lenovo X1 carbon laptops that we just received. I am noticing that if I deploy the OSD task sequence by creating a standalone USB disk, the video drivers do not properly install (show as installed in Device Manager, but resolution is 800x600 and do not have Intel's graphics properties/options) - however if I deploy by using a boot CD to pull the task sequence over the network, the video drivers install fine.

I have attached a copy of the SMSTS log from both a standalone and CD deployment but am not sure where to begin looking for logs relating to driver installs. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Greg

smsts-20140529-101525.log

smsts-20140529-130333.log

By chance is your laptop connected to a KVM? We noticed this issue with certain desktops using the Intel graphics chip; they wouldn't show the correct video and with USB FullMedia until they were removed from the KVM. Seems to have occurred after the SCCM 2012 R2 upgrade for us.

You might try looking at the DISM.log file to see which .dll are getting called for your graphics card).

Are you doing an "apply all drivers" or do you have each graphics driver categorized for your specific Lenovo models?

I have a folder called \sources\drivers. In here, I have subdirectories for each model that we support (Dell 780 desktops, Dell 9020 desktops, Lenovo T410S and Lenovo X1 Carbon) and I am extracting all required drivers for each of these devices into their respective folders.

I am currently applying them using 'Install all compatible drivers' and 'limit driver matching to only consider drivers in the selected categories'. Of course, I have a specific category for each model we support. I thought this would be the best way to ensure that it looks to apply drivers that I have tested and manually added to a package.

Drivers seem to be causing the most headaches for me, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a robust solution to this. I am going to do a deployment from CD and Standalone USB, and look into the DISM.log files for each (and will likely post those up here). Can anyone recommend a reliable method for applying drivers?

We run a script against the OEM build to get a reference of what drivers are installed. We'll do this against new models. It is the equivalent of looking in the Device Manager at the DevID information, but faster and easier to read. We'll then add drivers based on the .inf files and what they contain - matching the drivers with the Dev Values (e.g. VEN_8086&DEV_9C43) One thing I have found is to leverage the search - file contents for a DevID when facing multiple .inf files in a folder to make it a faster process as well as to see if there are potential conflicts in driver installs.LENOVO20A8002FUS_DEVCON_SATAMODE=SATA.TXT

The problem you may have sounds like a conflicting driver or OEM vs Manufacturer driver issue.

Attached is the result of our script for ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2nd gen. It is likely to be slightly different depending on the SKU you have for your laptop.

Hope it helps.

The specific type of X1 carbon we are using is 20A8-S01400. The graphics adapter is Intel HD 4000 series - actually the Dev values match exactly those in your script

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_221817AA&REV_0B\3&21436425&0&10
Name: Intel® HD Graphics Family
Hardware ID's:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_221817AA&REV_0B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_221817AA
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&CC_0300
For your deployment, did you download drivers direct from Intel or Lenovo? I have tried both - I have tried older versions of the driver, I have even tried applying drivers by Package, by Auto apply, etc....it only seems to be this one driver that is causing me grief. Is there a guide on driver best practices or anything like this that might help me improve my deployment?
I just did a deployment to an X1 carbon by USB and cannot find dism.log, it is not in C:\Windows\CCM\Logs , and I can't find anything related to DISM or DRIVERS in SMSTS.log
Really appreciate your help thus far :)

I believe the one we are using came from Intel.

It is version 10.18.10.3412 (dated 01/29/2014) and the .inf is kit579W7.inf (Intel will state that it is version 15.x but the inf will say 10.18.x). https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23639〈=eng (I wasn't able to get this link to load however).

I'm unaware of a driver guide, but likely there is one on windows-noob (this site has everything ;) )

I also noticed in our Task Sequence that we are also installing a ThinkPad LCD Monitor file (dpinst.exe) - I think that it allows for the notebook to connect with an external monitor. It has to be installed after the OS is installed and after PnP drivers.

Can I ask how you are deploying your drivers in your environment (auto apply/package & settings in each)?

Right now my process has been like this...

- Install Windows 7 x64 on an X1 Carbon

- Install drivers (to ensure they are correct ones for the image), choosing to extract the contents of each driver .exe into individual folders

- Created directory ...\sources\drivers\Lenovo X1 Carbon\Win7x64\Extract

- Copied all the extracted driver folders into this directory (see attached)

- In Config Manager, choose to Import all New Drivers in network path ..\sources\drivers\Lenovo X1 Carbon\Win7x64\Extract

- Also created a package out of all the extracted drivers, to try this method

I am not sure if I need all of the contents of the extracted driver, or if I can 'target' the drivers in a more accurate/reliable way?

post-25027-0-80204400-1401890353_thumb.png

Our task sequence is to 1) install the OS 2) install the drivers 3) install the "dirty drivers" (These are the drivers that don't install nicely at step 2. Examples include Lenovo Hotkey integration and UltraNav drivers).

We usually target specific driver sets (x64 and for a specific category (e.g. HDC, BIOMETRIC, BLUETOOTH, DISPLAY, etc)) and break them into a folder structure of MFG - Family - Version. You've opted to break it down by computer model which works just as well. Using your example, we would normally just use the files in the extract/video/x64 folder assuming that the necessary files (.inf, .sys, .dll, .exe, .cat, etc.) are within.

As you did, we would also use SCCM CM to import the driver, pointing it to the aforementioned folder structure. We then categorize the driver (move it to a category subfolder so they don't all exist at the Drivers top level) and associate the correct driver to the computer model (Categorize - Manage Categories - select the object). Within the Task Sequence, us the Auto Apply Driver function and set it for "Install only the best matched compatible drivers" and "Limit driver matching to only consider drivers in the selected categories". It sounds like you are doing this as well.

Can you send me a screen shot of the driver that you are having issues with? Here is an example:

post-16642-0-33891900-1401893009_thumb.gif