Kops

Differences between CD and Standalone OSD

First off, thank you for your continued efforts to help me out - really appreciate you going out of your way to lend a hand.

Attached is a screenshot of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver used for our X1 carbons. This screenshot also shows the graphics driver used for our Dell 9020 desktops, which also use Intel HD 4000 series drivers that deploy without any issue. I have also included a screenshot of our very basic task sequence, and the options I have selected for applying drivers.

The strange part in all of this is that when deployed by CD, it works great! But by standalone USB, it does not...I was hoping I would be able to find something in the logs that might help but I have a hard time parsing through these, and couldn't find anything driver related (DISM.log was not present in the ccm\logs folder either)

post-25027-0-18918300-1401903674_thumb.png

post-25027-0-10200400-1401903676_thumb.png

Have you tried changing the option "For each hardware device" to "Install only the best matched compatible drivers" instead of "Install all" Wondering if you have a driver that is installing prior that might be conflicting.

I have tried pretty much every combination of those radial buttons without much luck. Just to confirm this, I changed the TS to use 'Only Install the best matched compatible drivers' and redeployed the task sequence to a USB, and the display drivers still do not take. I have attached a copy of SMSTS.log but I'm not sure it provides any value.

You mentioned in a previous post that the .inf required for your deployment was kit579W7.inf, however I am seeing igdlh64.inf in the majority of our extracted packages. I have about 5 different driver versions extracted (newest, older, from Intel, from Lenovo, etc), most of them containing igdlh64.inf, and one with kit579w7.inf. I am going to rebuild the driver package with the kit579w7.inf driver and see if this helps at all.

Is it possible to treat this as a 'dirty' driver? I have tried creating an Application Package and installing the video driver that way, but again...no luck.

smsts-20140605-132803.log

Kops,

I believe the DISM.LOG file gets cleaned up when the Task Sequence finishes. A couple of things to try.

1) Check your DISM.LOG file after WinPE completes. C:\windows\ccm\logs\dism.log. Before you select your Task Sequence, press F8 to bring up the Command Support window and search for your dism.log file. This will at least show what video driver is getting installed in your Preinstallation Environment.

2) Add a "Pause" step in your task sequence after your drivers install so you can do the Command Support window (F8) check again. c:\_smstasksequence\logs\ or c:\windows\ccm\\logs\smstslog\

Great idea, I will try putting a pause in after the driver installation and check out the DISM.log then.

I am not applying video drivers in WinPE, only network drivers. Do you adding video drivers to the boot image might help? Our previous administrator was applying all drivers to the boot images...which became well over 1gb in size, so I was trying to avoid that scenario.

[edit]

So I implemented the PAUSE before and after my Apply Drivers task in Config Manager. I deployed it to a USB, ran the task sequence, and it paused just as it should. I clicked OK, and within about 2 seconds the other PAUSE window appeared, almost as if the Apply Drivers task was finished in a matter of seconds. I navigated to C:\Windows\Logs\DISM and opened DISM.log. It is certainly difficult to look through that log file in Notepad as it was fairly large, and unfortunately I couldn't figure out a way to access CMTrace from here.

I was able to do a copy dism.log to the C: of the computer being imaged, so I am going to try to read through this once the deployment is done.

"I am not applying video drivers in WinPE, only network drivers"

I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested this. We only put in storage, network and USB drivers in our WinPE (the later can be useful for saving WinPE logs - especially USB 3.0 drivers.). Yes - keep your Boot Image small - it's a waste to put all drivers in it.

Ah ok, so I am doing something right at least :P

So I was able to save DISM.log to the C: and open it up with CMtrace after the image process was completed. There were a few warnings, all the same error message

'DISM Provider Store: PID=4012 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider. Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect'

This doesn't seem to be a very common error as Google didn't turn up any leads. Really getting fed up with this damn driver... :(

Did the video driver show up in the DISM.Log? - guessing not?

Weird question but by chance after you downloaded the original file that had the video driver, did you unblock the file (right-click - Properties - Unblock?) It may not be visible on anything but the original download (e.g. .zip)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any sign of igdlh64.inf or kit579W7.inf in DISM.log.

In a strange turn of events, I went onto Lenovo's website to see if I could try another driver (perhaps an older or newer one might work..) and noticed that just over a week ago they added a driver package specifically for SCCM deployments. See here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS040846

Excitedly, I downloaded these drivers, imported them info config manager, and created a standalone deployment....only to be let down once again. Everything applied great, except video drivers. There MUST be something else going on here :(

How about we cheat this...

Build the system up with the CD.

Identify the video driver that is getting installed through the device manager.

We should be able to then look for the driver package on the CD, copy it out and set it up as the driver for SCCM to install.

If that doesn't work, then we definitely have a conflict of some driver and that will require installing drivers individually until it is identified.