Ourukai

create Task Sequence Media Wizard fails 0x8004255c

I am trying to create a bootable USB drive to image machines that don't have network access. When I run through the "Create Task Sequence Media" wizard I receive the following error. "Media creation failed with error code -2147211940. When I look at the CreateTsMedia.log I find this:

Beginning media generation
Size of partition's is changed.
Failed to query volume for the volume id, skipping (0x80042412)
Failed to assign drive letter to the created partition(0x8004255C)
Error formatting volume G:\ (0x8004255c)
Failed to create media (0x8004255c)
CreateTsMedia failed with error 0x8004255c, details=''
MediaGenerator::~MediaGenerator()
Media creation process that was started from Admin Console completed.
CreateMedia.exe finished with error code 8004255c

I have tried this several times using different drive letters for the 64GB USB3.0 flash drive. I have also run through the process of cleaning and formatting the drive via diskpart using the steps below.

from admin CMD prompt

diskpart

select disk
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

The Task sequence does run fine via PXE boot on the machines that I have tested on the network.

Thanks in advance,

Mike C.

As far as I know the actual wizard is unable to access/read USB devices over 32GB (open to correction on this). I believe that you can use command line parameters to CreateMedia.exe that allows use of these drives but have never done this myself. I have successfully used a 64GB drive, however.

Run the wizard again and create an unlimited size ISO, instead of pointing it to the USB drive. Once finished mount that ISO file using your software of choice. I personally use Virtual CloneDrive. Once mounted go to a command line and type: xcopy <mounted ISO drive letter>\*.* <USB drive letter>\ /e /s.

Be sure to carry out the steps you've already outlined above in terms of formatting, assigning, activating partition, etc before doing the xcopy. Once the copy completes the drive should be bootable. At least mine was. I hit another issue after this but that's another story and not related to the actual creation of the bootable USB drive.