ms-admin

OSD Failed to Run Task Sequence - Platform Not Supported

Hi, i have win7, win7sp1 and win8.x OSD task sequences made available to known and unknown clients that were working fine until this morning. now if i boot any client whether known or unknown, physical or virtual they get to the TS login screen and i login but then immediately get a failed to run task sequence splash screen with no error code and a reboot in 15 seconds.

the client x:\windows\temp\smsts.log goes through everything correctly and finds the server etc but at the end says "No assigned task sequence". the task sequences are set to run on any platform but the deployment status shows message id 10018 program rejected (platform not supported). the funny thing is that nothing in sccm has changed that i'm aware of and these were working yesterday. can anyone help shed any light on this?

im using a new install of windows server 2012 r2 with sccm 2012 r2, sql 2012, win7 clients.

I don't know if I have an answer, but at least for your PXE clients, the platform settings shouldn't matter at all. A lot of people (including me) set the OSD task sequence to only be available for a strange Windows platform that does NOT exist in our environments (like Vista x64 SP1). This is done so that uninformed end users don't accidentally image their system from within the Config Manager Software Center. It essentially forces an IT person to PXE boot the machine, type in the password and and select the task sequence to start the OSD process.

So, while that doesn't solve your issue, I don't believe your problem is related to platform requirements. Do you have another Distribution Point with PXE enabled? Does the same problem exist there?

Hi Wilby, I have my task sequences set to run on any platform and they're only advertised to pxe and media so they dont appear in the software center. i also use the password to prevent accidental pxe deployment. i do have other remote secondary sites with dp's and they are doing the same thing. my normal packages are still deploying ok and if i deploy the same OSD task sequences from dvd standalone media they work ok and start installing other required deployments ok after the client is registered. i've also tried another existing TS for adobe CS6 and it works ok from software center. the problem OSD task sequences appear on the deployments tab when i double click a client in the cm12 console too. i've also tried re-deploying the OSD TS but still nothing.

the only unusual thing that happened this morning was the cm12 console crashed this morning while using it on the primary server. i'm starting to wonder whether i should restore my cm12 from yesterdays backup when everything was working ok??

Hi, I'd like to follow up with what i did to resolve this. All the logs started showing errors at 8:30am on Thursday which is when the console crashed on me while moving between tabs. I tried everything I could to resolve this with no luck, so as I'm short of time I restored the database from the night before and everything I've tested so far appears to be working again including OSD from PXE. Phew!