hhancock

Removing Devices

Hello,

I am in the process of reconfiguring our hierarchy and was wondering what the proper way to remove devices was. Currently, I have all the discovery methods disabled so that I can update the hierarchy. I've manually removed the devices from the Configuration Manager console and I don't get any errors, however, after a refresh most of the devices are still showing. Is there anyway to remove these devices from the database in order to reconfigure my hierarchy?

It's been a while since we've last used Configuration Manager so there are a lot of stale objects. I am hoping to clean everything up and really start utilizing this product in our organization.

Thanks in advance!

Create a collection using some criterion of machines that you'd like to delete. Let the collection build for a bit (depending on how large your database is). Once it's done - delete the collection. On the deletion confirmation box there will be a check box at the bottom that says "Delete Objects from Database"

This will ensure that the object is not just removed from the collection, but also the SCCM database as well.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Create a collection using some criterion of machines that you'd like to delete. Let the collection build for a bit (depending on how large your database is). Once it's done - delete the collection. On the deletion confirmation box there will be a check box at the bottom that says "Delete Objects from Database"

This will ensure that the object is not just removed from the collection, but also the SCCM database as well.

Hope this helps

So, when I enable another discovery, said computers should be added back to the database, correct?

Correct. Although, if you're discovery method is say - Active Directory, and these stale objects that you remove from SCCM also exist in AD, they will import themselves right back into SCCM. We're actually in the process of this same thing here. We need to isolate the PCs that exist in AD that are no longer in use, have been recycled or stored, and / or trashed... and remove them from AD. At this point, removing them from SCCM will prevent them from being discovered again.

• Like 1

Correct. Although, if you're discovery method is say - Active Directory, and these stale objects that you remove from SCCM also exist in AD, they will import themselves right back into SCCM. We're actually in the process of this same thing here. We need to isolate the PCs that exist in AD that are no longer in use, have been recycled or stored, and / or trashed... and remove them from AD. At this point, removing them from SCCM will prevent them from being discovered again.

Thanks for this information. I have a script that moves the stale objects to another container in AD (which isn't being discovered in SCCM). Therefore, any stale objects should be not be added back to SCCM. I am in the process of removing all discovered devices from the SCCM database so it will be easier for me to understand how best to setup the hierarchy.

Again, thank you for the information as it's been a great help in understanding what I can do.

Hmm. Would there be any reason why devices are still showing up in my database if all discovery methods are disabled?

It seems that when I run select * from v_R_System it continues to grow...

I removed a computer using your method. I created a new Device Collection called Decommissioned. I then added a computer via a direct rule (Name). I then removed the device collection and selected to remove all devices in the collection from the database. Within 5 minutes, the device is showing back in the Configuration Manager console and the database. What gives?

Why does the device continue to show up even though I've removed it from the database and have turned all Discovery Methods off?

Hi,

Have the devices the Configuration Manager 2012 client installed on them? If so the heartbeat that the client sends will also re-register the client back again regardless of the discovery settings. If you check properties of the client you are able to see what discovery method added the client and when, that way you can verify that you delete was succesful and what process is adding it back.

Regards,
Jörgen

• Like 1

Hi,

Have the devices the Configuration Manager 2012 client installed on them? If so the heartbeat that the client sends will also re-register the client back again regardless of the discovery settings. If you check properties of the client you are able to see what discovery method added the client and when, that way you can verify that you delete was succesful and what process is adding it back.

Regards,

Jorgen

Ah, that's what I was afraid of! So now, I will try to manually remove the SCCM client from the device, remove the device from the SCCM console/database and try again. Do I need to kick off any Site Maintenance tasks?