wilbywilson

Software Center won't open on Windows 8.1 laptop

We've got a Windows 8.1 laptop where the SCCM 2012 R2 client appears to be successfully installed, but it's not able to open the Software Center. If you try to open it, you get this message:

"There is a problem loading Software Center. Loading Software Center returned error code 0x80041002 (-2147217406)."

We've tried to completely uninstall the SCCM client, reboot, and reinstall. Same behavior. This is a relatively new machine, and I doubt that WMI is corrupted. Any ideas? Which log files might indicate what the problem is?

Thanks for the tip, Peter. I've attached the SCClient_device@user.log. I don't want to attach the entire CCMSDKProvider.log, because it's got sensitive info, but here are a couple lines from that log file that look problematic:

Failed to get method for DeviceId. Return code: 0x80041002

Retreiving Application Catalog URL from Client Agent Config

Making call to get portalUrl from MP.

Failed to get method for retreiving Application Catalog URL. Return code: 0x80041002

Thanks for the tip, Peter. I've attached the SCClient_device@user.log. I don't want to attach the entire CCMSDKProvider.log, because it's got sensitive info, but here are a couple lines from that log file that look problematic:

Failed to get method for DeviceId. Return code: 0x80041002

Retreiving Application Catalog URL from Client Agent Config

Making call to get portalUrl from MP.

Failed to get method for retreiving Application Catalog URL. Return code: 0x80041002

Have you setup the Application Catalog in the Client Settings?

Administration > Client Settings > Default Client Settings

In the Computer Agent section, make sure a Default Application Catalog website point has been set.

Yes, App Catalog is configured and works on all machines, except for this particular Windows 8.1 client. Part of the reason I'd really like to figure this out, is that I'm in the beginning stages of my SCCM 2012 deployment, and I'm not sure if this same error will crop up on additional machines. But if it does, I'd like to be able to resolve it (without a wipe and reformat.)

Yes, App Catalog is configured and works on all machines, except for this particular Windows 8.1 client. Part of the reason I'd really like to figure this out, is that I'm in the beginning stages of my SCCM 2012 deployment, and I'm not sure if this same error will crop up on additional machines. But if it does, I'd like to be able to resolve it (without a wipe and reformat.)

I've tested on Windows 8.1 and it works for me. Have you tried reinstalling the client?

I ended up having to do a wipe and reformat on this Windows 8.1 laptop. Not 100% sure what the issue was, but I guess WMI, even though it was a relatively new build. After re-installation of the O/S, the Software Center works.

Possible. I feel like I've seen a message about a corrupted WMI in the log before. By chance did you ever try to repair WMI? From my understanding, you can rebuild WMI on the client machine.

Yeah, we did follow a couple of blog posts about fixing WMI, to no avail. In the past (Windows XP), I've had decent luck repairing WMI. It's my understanding that WMI was totally reworked by Microsoft starting with Windows 7, and corruption should occur much less frequently.

I have little to no experience with trying to repair WMI on Windows 8.1. If there are recommended instructions out there, in case we run into this issue again, I'd love to see that article.