MagnumVP

Deploy x64 or x86 to Clients

Since SCCM 2012 now has a x64 client, what's the best method to deploy the client to the workstations? I want to make sure the x64 client gets installed on the x64 client and the x86 gets installed on the 32bit client.

In the past I have deployed the client.msi found under the i386 directory to all computers through a GPO. However, it's only the 32bit version. Should I remove the GPO install and use the Push Installation through SCCM? Will that install the appropriate version onto the client?

Of should I push out the 32bit client install and then allow the SCCM server to upgrade to the appropriate version...if that is even possible.

It's my understanding that if you just push the client through the SCCM console, it will pick the proper version to send down. That's the way I'm currently rolling out my environment, and so far, it just seems "smart enough" to pick the right x86/x64 version, depending on the target machine's architecture.

Hi,

As answered above,ccmsetup.exe is smart enough to choose the correct plattform for the client. Replicing your GPO is a good idea, Jason Sandys have written a great Startup Script that can be used instead, which is much miuch better. http://blog.configmgrftw.com/configmgr-client-startup-script/ It is also smart enough to install the correct CU update for the client and much more.

I use it basically for all implementations.

Regards,
Jörgen