thoffman

Updating .msi deployed via task sequence

Brief history on this one. I spent two days trying to get my .msi to deploy using the application model without success so I could potentially use the supercedence option in the future. Finally came to the conclusion that my application will not install properly running as local system. (This is a clinical EHR program).

I found the following website and couldn't make this work properly either - http://www.bewi.at/?p=1173 . That script was run with a .exe in mind, and I struggled getting the msexec command to run successfully through powershell. What finally made me give up on the application model was that $PSScriptRoot requires powershell 3.0 to run, and we have Windows 7 which most cases is running powershell 2.0 and not looking to update powershell for 800 workstations. I really wish I could tell the application model to run with a domain admin account.

Anyways what I ended up doing was just packaging out my .msi, and then deployed a batch script that was ran as a domain admin account to install the .msi through a task sequence.

My concern is what is the best method to update the .msi in the future when there are updates(and I'm sure there will be). I'm assuming they will have a new full .msi that I will need to push out to all clients, so will most likely need to uninstall the current version, and then reinstall the updated client.

Maybe do this through another task sequence, use something with another batch file to use msiexec.exe /x clientinstall.msi and then run another task to install the new client? Probably a reboot in between the install also.

Or is there a much easier way to do this? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give enough detail! Thanks!

So I take it back, task sequence is giving me some other errors with the .bat file. Is there a way to run a VBscript in the application model to run the msi as domain account? Something like -

cscript.exe "clientinstall.vbs" to still use the application model?

Anyone happen to have a script that does this that they use to deploy applications?

I've done something similar to this using a bat file, but i used the app ID and not the installer to remove it, i also included a pause in there with a time to make sure it successfully uninstalled, then just had it start the new program.If its failing, does it say why? Most of the time it will fail if some random service from the software is still running, in which case just make sure you include a line in your bat file to kill the service thats running.